How Can I Get Fabric Donations?

I am in need of free fabric. As part of this years Project Graduation decorating committee, I need to transform the school into a magical place. Project Graduation is an all night party which is hosted by parents of graduating seniors.

This party provides a safe, drug and alcohol free environment full of fun activities on the night of graduation. This years theme will take seniors on a tour of the world. My area is Asia. Where can I find fabric donations?

Kathleen from North Branford, CT

I used to work at a sewing factory, and they throw away lots. Check your local phone book to locate sewing factories and just ask, you'll be surprised.

Got to www.freecycle.com and join the one for your state/city. You can post a wanted on there and you will probably get some answers. This is also great to get rid of unwanted stuff cluttering your home or possibly receiving something you might need for it. Good Luck.

Or put an ad on CraigsList for your area; they have a "wanted" section where you can post for things that you are looking for. People are usually pretty good about donating for a school project; you might even get lucky and find some crafty person who could help with any sewing that might need to be done. Good luck!

If you can not find free fabric, scout local businesses for cash donations and buy the fabric. Most places are more than willing to donate for a chem and alchohol free graduation. Our local organizers get everything donated .

JOIN FREECYCLE! www.freecycle.org

It is a national network and they should have an online group in your area. It is basically an online community where people post things they want to give away for free (absolutely no selling allowed!). You can also make requests for specific things you are looking for for yourself, someone you know, or for organizations you work with.

I have found it to be very useful, and feel great that less stuff is ending up in landfills. good luck.

A local lady sews for charity. She had heard about a company that carried fabric, that was going out of business. She wrote them about her cause. They were VERY generous with her. Hope you're able to find some, too. Good Luck!!

Join freecycle :) Besides belonging to my local freecycle I am also a member of one in N.D. and NEB. (for the times when I go on vacation)

They have things that my city doesn't, like antiques and souviners :)

When I volunteered to do quilt making for heritage days at my local elementary school, I took a letter from the school with the schools letter head and went to my local wal-mart and other fabric stores. Everyone was kind enough to donate all sorts of supplies. I just made sure I made a big "thank you" with poster board with all their business names and placed it in full view in my working area.

I took photos of several of the children around the poster board, working on their quilt samples. I took each business that donated copies of the photos with thank you cards. The kids loved it and all the business's displayed the photos. It was a great success. You just don't know till you ask and make sure to thank them. All of them were very interested as to how it worked out.

Freecycle and Craig's list are great resources, but also go to your local fabric store, and decorator stores ask if they have any discontinued fabrics that you could buy for a discount or if they would be willing to donate some. Also, try to contact local interior designers, they often have sources of sample fabrics that can get donated. Ask EVERYONE you know, it's amazing what some people have in their homes, you might even find someone who would lend you something for the weekend.

Better Living Charity AdviceOctober 23, 2008
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Large Outdoor Blue Goodwill Sign
Organizing Goodwill Donations
stacks of fabric
Getting Fabric Donations for Charity Projects
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
🎉
🎄