Adding Flavor To Medifast Liquid Diet

I am on a Medifast liquid diet before surgery. It's a vanilla flavored powder that mixes with water. I've quickly tired of the recipe book purchased. I purchased the following extracts or imitation flavoring: almond, vanilla, orange, lemon, strawberry, banana, maple syrup, peppermint, mint, cinnamon, and rum.

I'm tired of experimenting, then being forced to have to down it like it's a bad cough medicine. I am looking for any ideas on mixing up those flavors with vanilla. I'm not into Crystal Light to change it up. It comes out too frothy. Thanks ahead of time.

ccscastle from Plano, TX

I remember once when I was doing Slim Fast & got really tired of the taste I added some coconut extract & it was like drinking a pina colada, which tasted pretty darn good. I'm sure in time that would get old too, but hope it helps. Good luck with your surgery.

Ask your doctor if you can add a TINY bit of orange juice concentrate (OR orange/mango concentrate). If not, then maybe the orange flavoring would work. This would taste a bit like an orange Julius! The Crystal light orange flavoring you mentioned might work too. You can also add a bit of REAL high quality vanilla to it. Bourbon Vanilla Beans are the best. There's NOTHING like REAL high quality vanilla to make something taste great!

If you have any "ethnic" grocery stores, (especially East Indian) near by they usually have quite an assortment of flavoring syrups. These are supposed to be mixed with soda water, but they would be an easy way to add flavor to your drink.

Perhaps I didn't completely understand your question, but I do Medifast now and it comes in a plethora of other flavors besides vanilla. Are you getting just the one flavor through your doctor? You can order all the other flavors on the internet without a doctor's prescription or anything.

To Clear up Any Confusion: I only have Vanilla Flavored Shake. I'm tired of just Vanilla. I use most of the extracts I purchased. I was hoping to get a recipe of sort for putting several extracts together to make a shake that tastes good. My experimentation has gone haywire sometimes. The shake packs are expensive so I hate to throw any out. I just drink them even if they taste like cough syrup.

The orange julius sounds like a great idea. I've done the cocount. It just hit me that I should swing by a snow or ice cone shop to ask if they can give me ideas or google snow cone flavors.

Thanks

When I was doing something similar I used pumpkin pie spice for flavoring.

Maybe you could try adding in a small amount of instant coffee granules along with ice cubes to your vanilla powder mix and blend it all in the blender for a sort of iced cappuccino drink.

I was also on Medifast. I added international foods instant flavored coffees. There are many varieties that are also sugar free.

I was on the liquid diet before surgery. I put mine in a blender with ice and made it like a slush. I added a couple of strawberries It was better then the extract. Also, koolaid unsweetened, and add splenda or like type. Good Luck, Linda

When I was on Medifast I got all the flavors and mixed them with diet soda. Orange with peach (diet-rite). Chocolate with Canfield Fudge, strawberry with raspberry diet-rite, vanilla with orange soda. I had all kinds of mixtures and the carbonation was really refreshing. I looked forward to "eating".

When I was on medifast, the only way I could drink the vanilla shakes was with lime juice (which you are allowed to have) and a bit of diet 7-up. If you ever have to do it again, the chocolate is a lot easier to drink.

Those are all awesome answers. I will start mixing then report back.

Soda's are a no go but it got me to thinking of other stuff. I did buy the pumpkin spice, so thank you. I do plan on after finishing up the vanilla to get another vanilla but also chocolate and strawberry.

Here is one recipe that seems to be working: Add in the protein shake, cold water with a little bit of ice along with 1/2 tsp coconut extract and 1/2 tsp of vanilla, blend, it tastes similar to a coconut snow cone.

Like I said I don't care for crystal light, but if you like that I do recommend you try that. I bought sugar-free Popsicle.

Recipe for that is pretty simple. I add one set of the Popsicle in with the protein shake and the protein shake comes up with that flavor. If it doesn't have enough flavor then I add 1/2 tsp of an extract closest matching the flavor.

I've stopped soda drinks so I can't use the flavored sodas but I imagine that would be good. I love the coffee mix idea. I'm definitely doing that but I have to check how much sugar is involved. Maybe there is one without another sweetener other than sugar.

I suppose that is the hardest part of making mixes is sugar is out, so then where do the flavorings come from and how do we make it better. Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming. cc

Try making a cake out of it:

1 shake

1/2 t baking powder

2 tbls egg beaters

2 tbls water

Stir all together and zap in microwave for about 2 minutes.

My husband is about to go on the Medifast liquid diet next Friday before his surgery in March. I cringe because I know he will get so bored with these shakes, which is why he has failed at most diets... he gets bored. He knows this is the last straw, so any ideas I can give him to make these shakes interesting will be good. I've gotten many from you now, so keep them coming. As I play "liquid chef" for him, I'll let you know of any I find out as well! Good luck to all of you!

Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingSeptember 29, 2008
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎉
🎄