Cooking Ground Beef

Hamburger can be browned quickly, easily and goes with a wide range of dishes. Use these helpful tips to make cooking ground beef that much easier. This is a guide about cooking ground beef.

February 13, 2011 Flag

To help save time in the kitchen when I know it is going to be a busy week, I will buy a large amount of lean ground beef at Costco or Sam's. I purchase, say, a 5 1/2 pound package. I bring it home and cook it in a large pot with diced onion and garlic and season it up with black pepper and salt. After the meat is cooked through, I drain it in a colander then add it back to the pan to let it cool down a bit. I then weigh the meat on my kitchen scale to get 1-2 lbs. of cooked meat, put it in freezer bags, and label.

Now all I have to do the rest of the week is pull out a package of the already cooked meat and thaw a bit in the microwave. Add it to a pan along with taco seasonings, spaghetti sauce ingredients, sloppy joe ingredients etc.- whatever your family is wanting for dinner that night. You can even use it to make one of the boxed hamburger helper dinners. Dinner is done in a fraction of the time.

I realized that I start all my ground beef recipes basically the same way with onion and garlic. It just made sense to go ahead and cook it all ahead of time instead of freezing the raw meat.

By KimbrD from Corinth, TX

Thumbs Up KimbrD. Makes perfectly good sense to me too. I've been doing this for years, and I've also kept cooked rice and cooked spaghetti in large freezer bags in the fridge so it's so easy to prepare 1 or more meals for anyone around.

Everyone here has a different schedule almost daily, so I never know who all will be eating here or maybe will want to take something with them to be heated up at work or school.

Having foods already cooked and ready to complete has saved us more money as it cuts way down on fast-food and other restaurant food buying. While the kids are showering and dressing, I can have meals all ready for them in no time. Steamed veggies only take a few minutes as well. I love being able to put together a decent meal for them in such a little bit of time.

We cook (bake or boil) chicken the same way. They can have a choice of meat meal in about the same amount of time as it'd take to make a good sandwich.

I have one who will not touch anything with onion and garlic in it though, so I always have a bag marked just for her of ground beef and chicken.

One of our son's favorites is something his sisters came up when they were playing "cowboys and indians" when they were young. Called Grub Gravy, it's just the ground beef cooked your way with a can of cream of chicken soup dumped in and served over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.

They also like Manwich over toasted hamburger or hot-dog buns.

I'm going to make myself hungry. LOL

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

Pookarina

May 24, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cooking ground beef in a crockpot. Your crockpot can be used to conveniently cook ground beef without the hassle of frying, before adding to a recipe.

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

May 23, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing fat from ground beef. Removing the fat from ground beef will help cut the calories from fat and is good for your overall health.

Removing Fat from Ground Beef

May 23, 2016 Flag

Using your microwave oven is a convenient way to cook ground beef that will be used in a recipe. This is a guide about cooking ground beef in the microwave.

June 4, 2008 Flag

My frugal tip is for cooking, but it's also a healthy one. Buy the cheap ground beef and BOIL it! The fat will rise to the top! Just don't pour the water (and grease) down your sink. Just for fun, set the whole pot (after it has cooled down) into the fridge over night then see how much disgusting FAT you are NOT putting into your body and arteries. The ground beef will absorb the flavors of the food you are using it in!

Trust me, you and your friends won't know the difference and it'll save ya from a heart attack (hopefully) in the future! Please let me know how ya'll like it!

Tootles,

By Sheila from Olive Branch, MS

I always do this - it gets so hot here that fatty things are just disgusting. It's a great tip, hope lots of other people use it. If I buy cheap minced beef the fat content can be almost an inch in the top of a medium sized pan. YUCK ! !

Best wishes, Leah.

I do this also. I also rinse my ground beef when I use it.

I do this too. I also rinse it in more water after it's cooked to get rid of even more fat. it's disgusting how much fat is in even the leanest of the ground beef. I think it's 30% or something!

I did that for awhile but my family CAN tell the difference so I quit doing it.

March 6, 2007 Flag

Tips from our readers for browning ground meat for a variety of uses.

Pouring ground beef into a taco.

June 11, 2007 Flag

With the recent recall of fresh and frozen ground beef, it's more important then ever to cook ground beef safely. Although the product(s) being recalled should be returned to the point of purchase, consumers preparing other ground beef products should heed the following advice.

Cooking Hamburgers

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJanuary 16, 2012
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ground Beef Casserole
Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Cooking with Ground Turkey
🎄
🍂