Reupholstering Sofa Cushions

I have sewn for many years but now I need help. Does anyone have any instructions for the reupholstering of sofa cushions. Any instructions, suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day, take care and stay safe.

Willi from Calgary, AB

Showing: Answers Sort

By Diane 1 5 Flag

I think the best way is to take the old coverings off the cushions, carefully take apart all the seams and use the pieces as your pattern. I have done this before, and used an old sheet or material as a sample cover to make sure it's going to work okay first before cutting into the expensive material.

I have a friend who has done all the reupholstering on chairs, etc. I think she sure is brave! :) She gets her supplies from an upholstery shop. The people at the upholstery shop even helped her with advice when she had questions.

I hope it all goes well for you!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I took a reupholstering class and we carefully took the old cushion apart and used it as a pattern. Works great and it isn't hard.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I thought I was such a good seamstress until I tried reupholstering a sofa with striped velour! Wrong! It was the biggest nightmare ever. It never looked right, sagged, I ran the stripes the wrong way, and I'd NEVER do it again, although I was only 30 yr. of age at the time. You can buy good sofa replacements in the Green Sheet/Salvation Army/Goodwill stores, for $200, the cost of better fabric and tools. There's MUCH more to it than you think. Each sofa is different and each cushion is different in shape, internal parts, thicknesses, and the foundation of each sofa needs to be considered.

Good luck. God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

P.S. I just remembered that if you can get familiar with when your neighborhoods put things curbside for pickup, then drive the streets on those days, you are likely to one day find a decent used sofa that you could CLEAN, not have to comepletly reupholster.

I have found about fifteen over the years and given them all but one away, used two and repaired/profited from the last one (black leather 5 pc. set). Also, fabric sofa covers are available from

SUREFIT, that might serve your purpose if you are set on keeping your own sofa. I'd just encourage you to do ANYTHING but buy fabric and attempt it yourself, regardless. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pat Giles 959 Flag

Have you tried Googling? You might find instructions that way. God bless you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use the existing cushion cover as a pattern, taking the cover apart at the seams. If the covers don't have zippers existing in them, just give seam allowances in your upholstery fabric cuts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

http://www.upholster.com/howto/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Teri Carpenter 3 Flag

I have taken an upholstery class at the local community college. Priceless! Cushions are just tedious. But, well worth the effort. Take the cushion cover apart. Use it as a pattern. Even save the zipper. Remember to add stuffing to the old insert. Time and usage causes it to flatten, so just add polyester fill. Not in the bag, the one on a roll used for quilts. Wrap it around the cushion insert. Then just remake the cover, and you will be a happy camper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Teri Carpenter 3 Flag

I have taken an upholstery class at the local community college. Priceless!!!!!!!!!!! Cushions are just tedious. But, well worth the effort. Take the cushion cover apart. Use it as a pattern. Even save the zipper. Remember to add stuffing to the old insert. Time and usage causes it to flatten, so just add polyester fill. Not in the bag, the one on a roll used for quilts. Wrap it around the cushion insert. Then just remake the cover, and you will be a happy camper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Harlean 142 427 Flag

Taking the cushion cover apart and using it for a pattern is the best way, but for those of us that aren't that good with the sewing machine, I tried something a little different. I had a floral design couch with cushions that had big holes worn through the covers. I measured my cushions, and sewed "pillow cases" much like bed pillow cases. The background of the floral pattern was tan, and I had some curtains that I had made from tan bed sheets, so made my cushion covers plain tan.using these tan curtains. Thus I recycled the sheets a second time. I put the cushions inside my "pillow cases", and tucked the excess from the open end into the back of the sofa. This extended the life of my sofa for about a year, and then I replaced it.

Harlean from Arkansas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kate 1 Flag

I'm in the middle of making new covers for my love seat and did exactly what most of the posts here suggested -- took apart the old cover and used it as a pattern. When cutting the new cover pieces, take into account that it's possible the old covers may have frayed along the edges so measuring the cushion itself can be helpful. Also, if you opt for machine washable fabric, be sure to wash it before you cut out the new cover pieces.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

There are instructions and also videos showing how to cut and sew boxed and welted cushions here

www.upholster.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
Previous
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairJuly 1, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:28:42 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings