Use Baking Soda to Maintain Septic PH

Maintain your septic tank by flushing one cup of baking soda, every two weeks down the toilet. It helps maintain proper ph levels and control sulfide odors.

By Denise from Bristol, Quebec

Instead of paying for Rid-x or other similar products for the septic tank, simply open a packet of yeast that you purchase from the baking aisle in the grocery store. Pour out the yeast into the toilet bowl, then flush the toilet. Doing this enhances the good microorganisms to keep the septic tank working better.

If your washing machine feeds in the septic tank add baking soda to the rinse. Double duty. Helps make clothes soft and works in the septic tank too.

IMHO the septic tank and system needs to be acidic rather than alkaline. If you put baking soda into your tank, I think you may actually be working against the natural decomposition of what's in there. I would put vinegar rather than the alkaline of baking soda, but as I said its my opinion. I think of the septic tank being similar to a compost pile in composition. You don't want to do anything to destroy the natural bacteria living in it.

Also, I have read of others who put yeast into the septic tank. But I am not convinced that a product that reproduces and grows will "eat" what is in the tank or otherwise aid decomposition or rotting. We need whats in the tank to rot and decay. Its dead. I don't think adding another plant substance will help that in any way. But of course, I could be wrong.

Best wishes always,

I used to live in Bowie, MD where we had a septic tank and I used a package of yeast flushed down my toilet about once a month. I think in the ten years we lived there, I only had it drained once.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankNovember 10, 2008
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
🎄