Add Ham Hock When Cooking Beans and Peas

Add a ham hock to the pot when cooking beans and peas. This brings so much flavor; whether it is fresh vegetables or frozen.

By Gayle C. from Tallahassee, FL

If you are concerned about the fat in ham hocks, I found that Goya Ham Flavoring works just as well. It comes several packages to a box and is found in the Mexican section of the grocery store.

I agree that for flavoring dried beans and peas nothing beats the flavor of ham hocks. I cook the hocks separately the day before, until the meat is falling off the bone. I discard the bone and fat while still warm, then refrigerate the broth and skim off most of the congealed fat before adding the liquid to the water I cook the beans in. I usually shred the meat and add it after the beans are cooked.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Beans and RiceAugust 7, 2009
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Freezing Black-eyed Peas
Freezing Field Peas (Black-Eyed Peas)
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 19, 2016 at 10:50:05 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 981 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.