Black and Decker Jar Opener

I have arthritis and great difficulty opening some jars. I already got a thumbs down on the new One Touch Jar Opener. Anyone have the Black & Decker one or some other device. I live alone so that leaves me. Thanks!

Keeper from Morganyon, NC

What about the older electric can openers? They never let me down, they take some counter space and use an outlet, but they work. They are also cheaper than the one touch, which I have owned and will never use again. I'm 23 and I couldn't even get the batteries changed.

Hi Keeper!!!

I found a grip type jar and bottle opener at Target. This is a picture I found on the internet: http://www.fantes.com/images/11090openers.jpg To purchase it from that site, here is that address: http://www.fantes.com/openers.htm#jar. I hope this helps.

My kids got me a Black and Decker "lids off" jar opener and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have no complaints at all.

My daughter gave me the Black and Decker jar opener a couple of years ago....I love it. If a jar is hard to open for the device I just give it a try wait a second and try again a few times. I think people tend to force things and they break.

Hi, I have the Black and Decker "Lids Off". It is great. Loretta

Hi all. I have the Black and Decker Lids off opener. I have a lot of stiffness in my hands and not much strength, so it has been a Godsend to me. The price has come down a lot in the last couple years, too. Worth every penny. I have gotten a couple of other older folk in my family one for gifts. Every one I know just loves theirs. The only downfall I have noticed is the really big jars or really tall ones don't fit, but I can live with that.

Use a pair of rubber or latex gloves that you wash the dishes with. I live alone too. I tap around the lid first about 10 times. The tapping stretches the metal. My husband was a tinner. It always works. God Bless J.

I have a wooden opener under a kitchen cabinet.It's "V" shaped with the open end of the "V" facing out.I think it has little teeth in it too & it's about 1/2" thick .You place the jar into the open end & push a little & twist ! I LOVE IT ! It works wonders every time !

Just to let you know. My daughter gave me the One Touch can opener. I use it when I have to. It takes getting used to. But so far it has done the job...just runs to long sometimes. But hey, whatever works for these old hands. Another thing I use is a square of the rubber mats that you put on shelves to keep dishes from slipping. And to get the milk caps off I use the small pliers in my kitchen drawer to grab the tip if the ring and pull. Sure saves time and energy . I also run hot water over jar lids FIRST to help loosen the lids. GG HUGS, Vi

If you want a low tech and very economical solution, simply use a spoon handle. A lid is tight because of the vacuum seal. If you break the seal, the lid unscrews easily. Simply insert the handle into the space between the lid and jar, and pry. When you hear a pop, the lid will unscrew easily.

A more elegant way to break the seal is the $3.50 JarPop (PICTURED BELOW). It resembles those old can punchers that punched a triangular hole in cans for pouring out liquids. Plus the design gives you leverage. Amazon users give it a near perfect rating. Do note that it only works if there is enough space between the lid and jar. It has never failed me.

http://www.amazon.com/JarPop-Jar-Op ... FIQKA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?tag=thrif06-20

I have one and do not like it. Takes up too much space and hard to figure it out had to wait for one of my kids to come over one time to even work the thing.

I also have arthritis, AND a Black and Decker Jar opener. I love mine. I think you would find it useful.

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 7, 2007
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
can opener
Choosing a Can Opener
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
🎉
🎄