Valentine's Day Tradition: A Home Cooked Meal

My husband has everything and is difficult to buy for. So, on Valentine's Day every year, I make him a fancy, multi-course meal that I research a couple weeks ahead of time. I create a festive menu on my word processor complete with cupid clip-art and fancy fonts one week before V-Day. Then, I post the menu in an highly visible location on the wall.

Having the menu posted builds anticipation and reminds us of the special night as it grows near. Every year I'm surprised how this ritual never grows old, and I'm just as excited to prepare it as he is to eat it. This is undoubtedly is more special than any bottle of after-shave, neck tie or wallet.

By Sara from Cape Cod, MA

I have done this for my family for a couple of years now also. I have a 14 year old boy and 5 year old girl who I hate leaving out on a day that is meant to show our love for someone. So I started making a special meal complete with all the fancy plates and glasses, menu, and a small gift on each plate to let them know that they are each my valentine. Hubby likes it better than going out, too!

Glad to see this idea catching on! I don't need or want another box of candy, necklace, or do-dad to dust. My husband absolutly does not like a gift just because somebody somewhere says it's time to give one. I don't do a fancy menu but I do make a fancy dinner with the best crystal and china and his favorite food. We use candles (just about the only time he'll tolerate THAT!) on the table and I play soft music and we giggle cause we're acting silly and we're so old! It's my favorite holiday.

We are making shrimp and crab, drinks, building a fire, and movies with drinks. Anticipating it makes it much more exciting.

Thriftyfunners are so generous. I appreciate the willingness to share such a truly valuable idea.

My husband and I watch Lady and the Tramp, and eat spaghetti as demonstrated on that movie. We're about to celebrate our 43rd anniversary, so something must be working!!

My BF did something really romantic for me on 2-14-09. He started out when he picked me up for lunch since I had to work and got me a mug with a bear and candy in it. He and I eat lunch and did not give me anything else. He told me I had to wait for my surprise. He took me back to work and I finished out my day. He picked me up and took me out to dinner. He said that this was not all. After dinner he made reservations at a local hotel and wanted me to close my eyes. I did and he took me to the hotel room and there was a line of rose petals fromt eh door to the bed, a heart shape Valentines that said I Love U in Hersheys Kisses and a stuffed dog on the bed. He then got me a cd of my favorite artist, some bath oils and it was arranged nicely in the hotel room. we drank some sparkling wine and toasted our first Valentines day together.

Any time you give of your time, you are giving the most precious gift of all. Good job and very thoughtful!

Our tradition for Valentine's Day was to watch Lady and the Tramp while we ate a spaghetti dinner together - pretty romantic for many, many years!

Valentine's Day Dinner Ideas, A romantic candlelit dinner for two with wineglasses.
Valentine's Day Dinner Ideas
Holidays and Parties Valentine's Day GiftsFebruary 11, 2009
Wedding Favor Ideas for a Valentine's Day Wedding, White and red boxes for Valentine's Day wedding favors.
Valentine's Day Wedding Favor Ideas
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day