Lasagna Tips

Tips for making great lasanga. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

You won't believe this but add a sprinkle of cinnamon to your cheese mixture. It gives it a really great flavor. I learned this from an authentic Italian cook.

Best Answer

I make my Lasagna in my crock pot. I do not cook my noodles ahead of time and I layer it the same as if cooking in the oven. Nice way to come home to a great meal at the end of the day.

Holly, Prince George BC

Best Answer

I assemble my lasagne in 5 litre (5 quart) ice-cream containers, you know the kind I mean, round plastic buckets and no, I don't cook them in the plastic! lol..

I assemble them with sauce on the bottom, and layer them as you would usually do. Then I pop a lid on the container and pop it into my freezer. When frozen I loosen the lasagne and take it out of the container and put it into a bag and secure it and put it back into the freezer. I usually try to do 3 at a time. I haven't got room for more than 3 containers at a time so that's why I do this many. It's OK once they freeze because you can take them of the containers and put them in the freezer in bags and they stack on top of each other.

Why freeze them uncooked? Because when I need to cook one, I take one out in the morning or afternoon and put it in my crockpot and put it on low. My crockpot is one of the newer Aussie ones that cooks faster so I only put it on for about 3 hours on low and then one on high. So at 2 p.m. I put it on low, and then at 5 it gets put onto high until 6 p.m.

However, for the true crockpots, the ones that can be left on all day, I would put it on fo 6-8 hours on low.

It comes out perfect and I thoroughly enjoy it and so do the kids. It's my "take out" or as Aussies say it, "take away". I refuse to spend spend a fortune on unnecessary junk food because I can't be bothered cooking. On nights I don't want to cook, out comes the lasagne during the day and it goes into my CP.

So why not try your favourite lasagne recipe and try this tip. It works for me

Cheers

Bev in Oz

Best Answer

I don't cook my lasagna noodles first, either. I spray the pan with oil and then assemble by layering sauce, uncooked noodles, 3 cheese/egg mixture, sauce and keep repeating. When all but a cup of sauce is left in the can/jar/pot, I add 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups of water to it and mix it up. Then I pour this thinned out sauce all over the lasagna. I bake it 15 minutes and then cover with foil and bake it 1 hour at 350. Allow to sit 15 minutes before slicing. Turns out moist and wonderful.

When making lasagna, I don't precook the noodles. Instead I start with a somewhat runny sauce, then spread uncooked noodles with the cheese and egg mixture, then put the noodles in the pan. Then I add more sauce and repeat until I reach the top of the pan or run out of ingredients.

By Lynn

A couple of things I have learned over the years in perfecting my lasagna is to: 1) spray the pan with nonstick spray so nothing scorches to the pan, I even spray glass pans; 2) cook the noodles to one minute less than the recommended time and rinse in cold water until completely cold. The noodles come out al dente in the lasagna and the lasagna reheats wonderfully without mushy noodles; 3) use a very large jelly roll pan, my recipe makes two to three layers, feeds six with 1/3 of a pan left to cut into individual servings to freeze in glad containers for my husbands lunch.

I don't use lasagne noodles. Instead I use cooked egg noodles. Easier to cook and to layer.

When cooking with foil over the pan, I put toothpicks into the lasagna to keep the foil up off the surface so the cheese doesn' stick to it.

A photo of deliscous lasanga.
Lasagna Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJanuary 4, 2005
Various Types of Noodles
Alternatives to Lasagna Noodles
Lasagna Soup
Lasagna Soup Recipes
Crockpot Lasagna
Crockpot Lasagna Recipes
White Lasagna
White Lasagna Recipes
🎉
🎄