Ruffled Jean Purse

This is an idea I had for making a denim jean handbag. I had a pattern for a small fabric bag (McCalls 4885) so I used the pattern's pieces to make the ruffles. For the lining and handles, I used a pretty cotton print.

Materials:

• purse pattern, purchased or original
  • cotton print fabric for ruffles, lining, and strap
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • Ad
  • thread
  • kite string
  • pins

Directions:

1. The jeans were cut off at the crotch (make sure you cut it evenly across the bottom).
  2. I took the seam apart up to the zipper, finger pressed it out, and laid it out flat.
  3. I folded top piece over bottom, lined it up so it would be straight and sewed it down. Do the same on the back.
  4. An easy way to make the ruffles is to lay the strip out straight, lay a piece of string (like kite string) along the top edge (bottom edge is hemmed), zig-zag over the string.
  5. When you gather it up, it glides easily and then you pin it to your project and sew it down (string still in place), just pull out the string.
  6. Sew the ruffles on before you sew up the bottom of the bag.
  7. Start with bottom ruffle first, sew it on, press it down and top stitch.
  8. Then do the next ruffle about an inch or so from first one. Be sure you turn the ruffle upside down (hemmed part towards top of jean bag) then sew it on. Fold down and top stitch.
  9. Add the lining last after you attach the handles.
  10. Slide the lining over the jean bag (right sides together) pin at the top all around and sew. I had some difficulty at the zipper so I hand sewed it there. Be sure to leave a slit in the bottom of lining so you can turn it right side out when you finish sewing the lining in. Then top stitch around top (fold top down just over the top seam) to show the lining on the outside.

I hope you are not totally confused by my explanation. I hope you like my creation. Sorry if the image is a little blurry, using a webcam for my pics.

There you got it posted. Very nice!!

Marian,I love it thanks for sharing.Keeper in NC

Ruffles on a yellow T-shirt
Making Ruffles on Clothing
Crafts SewingJanuary 2, 2008
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
🎉
🎄