Think Before You Toss An Old Blanket Or Quilt

An old blanket, though still offering warmth and comfort, can certainly show signs of it's age and former life! But buy a set of colorful sheets, preferably at a Thrift Shop and make a duvet cover out of the sheets for the vintage blanket. Measure carefully and make what is, essentially, a huge pillowcase shaped cover. Working on the floor, put the blanket inside the new cover. Spread it inside and smooth it out ell. Measure and mark many spots to tie off (a quilting term, I believe) or tack the three layers of fabric. Use yarn or crochet cotton in a large-eyed needle. At each mark, go through the 3 layer in a relatively small stitch, then triple tie the two ends of the 'thread' to secure it. Finish off the open end of the sheet bag by hand. Your quilt will not only have a second life, but you'll have come up with an attractive new item of bedding.

By Janet from Conway NH

Editor's Note: Also, if you decide to send it off, take it to a homeless shelter or animal shelter.

I have a quilt that has been in use for 26 years now. It started as a blanket that I covered with sheets that I had sewn for a duvet cover. When that started to wear out, I made a patchwork cover from old shirts and covered it over again; I used floss to tie it off and help to keep it from shifting. It is the heaviest and warmest blanket we have and keeps us nice and warm all winter!

I have done that alot ,especiallywhen my kids grew out of there must wanted novelty bedspreads,they are now adults but those recovered blankets are still around and still being used

Crafts SewingApril 11, 2007
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt