How Long Can Puppy Have Undiagnosed Parvo?

I recently sold a puppy from my litter, and the buyer has come back 6 weeks later saying that the puppy has been diagnosed with Parvo. He took the dog at 8 weeks promising me that he would have it vaccinated within the next few days. It was foolish of me to take his word. All 6 of the remaining puppies are healthy and they had their injections.

I'm being told the pup was doing poorly with loose stool from the day they took it. It had been taken to the vets for this and was given antibiotics and supposedly had been put on a drip. They told me today that the dog has been at the vets for 3 weeks now and has only just been diagnosed with having Parvo and is having to be put to sleep.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible that the pup could have been alive for 3 weeks without the right treatment and as my other pups have all had a clean bill of health from the vets when they where taken for their injections. I have spoken to my vet who sees my adult dogs on a regular basis for check ups and who vaccinated half the pups for me. They are pretty sure the pup couldn't have had Parvo when it left my company with all the other pups having been fit and well at the time his pup left.

I am beside myself that these people didn't bring the pup back to me so that I could get it sorted and give them their money back. Its not the money but the health of the animal that is the most important thing to me.

By papes1980 from England

This sounds like every breeder's nightmare. It sounds as if you didn't have a contract for the buyer to sign? What are the buyers wanting from you? Their money back? Another puppy? Or are they just informing you? One thing you should do before you give back money or another puppy is get a certified letter from the vet stating that the puppy did indeed have parvo. I'm guessing the buyers didn't take the pup to the vet within 72 hrs (as our contract states) which is too bad for the puppy, and for you. I find it hard to believe they'd wait three weeks before informing you. When one of our female dogs died we called the breeder and informed her, even though it had been three years since we bought the dog.

I don't know much about parvo. Maybe your vet can help you with this. Good luck! Next time you sell pups make sure you have a good contract.

Parvo is pretty immediate. I had a puppy die once from it within 2 days and I didn't know what was wrong since I'd been told it had had it's first shot.

There is no way a vet would not have figured out what was wrong with it immediately, let alone it have been sick for 3 weeks. It is true you can give it a fighting chance with iv's but 3 weeks?

I wonder if most of you know you can buy the shot and give it yourself if you can't afford a vet. It's around 8-12 dollars. It's two capsules, and a syringe. Take liquid from one capsule, inject it into the powder in the other, shake, insert syringe into mixture, and lift skin on back of neck of puppy and inject solution under and into the loose skin. can be purchased at most animal feed stores [for farms] or a veterinary supply store. Not so for rabies. Must be given by vet because has to be registered. There is a new variety of rabies, much more contagious, loose in Arizona. Apparently no bite required to transfer from animal to animal.

Parvo is very fast! A pup can die from it within hours and certainly within days. No way will one survive for weeks if untreated. Even if treatment starts immediately there's not a big chance of survival. These folks are wrong! I feel sorry for the poor little puppy!

Hmm... sounds as if these people might want money. Are they expecting you to fork over for their pup's "three week vet stay" and maybe refund the purchase price without proof? I wouldn't do that, if I were you! If they want to push the issue, I believe it's their responsibility to prove the poor pup wasn't healthy upon receipt. Since you have multiple witnesses as to the health of the rest of the litter, they don't have a case. That poor pup's death is their responsibility, not yours. After all, if they promised to have the pup vaccinated and didn't, that's their own negligence.

Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
Pets Dogs HealthMay 12, 2009
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo