Use Masking Tape to Make Seed Tapes

I empty the packet of seed on a plate. I unroll masking tape in front of me. Sticky side up, I dampen my index finger. It helps, to pick up the seeds. I then place two seeds, down on the tape, then two more seeds down on the tape, six inches apart. Add two more seeds down until you run out of seeds. I roll up the tape on a Popsicle stick, or a stick from outside, or an ink pen. I don't use pencil because of the lead inside.

At planting time, I use a stick to help unwind. I plant 6 inches under, loose soil mixed with one part sand 3 parts potting soil. I plant straight, to the garden. I cover if before, last frost. There is no danger of root shock. My plants are always straight. They do well. I store my seeds in a dry plastic zip lock bag, with a paper towel to absorb any moisture. I store all my seeds this way.

Great idea! Sounds easier than cutting strips of newspaper and mixing 'flour' glue. When you try to roll those up they're bulky. However, one more tip - get a toothpick wet and touch the seed. It will pick them up. You can even pick up one teeny, tiny seed this way. Dab it on the tape, and if it doesn't stick, push it down with your finger. Shelli

You don't have to worry about lead in pencils. They are made with graphite now. But good idea anyway.

gloria

I do it differently. I take a roll of toilet paper, unroll and mist it finely with water from a spray bottle. Then I use tweezers for tiny seeds and my fingers for larger ones and lay the seeds out down the middle of the paper. I do this in about 5 foot lengths at a time. I fold the paper once over the seeds (about in thirds), mist again, then fold the other side. I plant in the amount of dirt called for, sometimes barely covering the toilet paper. Plant the doubled side of the strip down. The toilet paper dissolves easily, the seeds grow right through it, and you never have to thin anything ever again!

Great idea! Thanks. For flowering plants you could do them in short lengths and offset them to make clumps of flowers.

I have never done anything like this. I live in Ohio. Are you saying that I can buy seed packets for flowers, space them out on masking tape, roll it up, then lay it under loose soil now? I would've thought the ground had to be much warmer.

This is one of the best tips I have ever seen! & even though I rarely garden I still appreciate it! Thank you!

But you don't have to worry about "lead" in pencils. We still call it lead, but they use graphite these days. If they still used lead in pencils, just think how may kids would have lead poisoning! It can be a bit confusing because we still call it "pencil lead". Sometimes the English language doesn't make sense!

Great idea Ellen Lou, from a gardener who starts seeds indoors right about now actually. [NY-zone 5] and who used to buy these from Burpee's @ $$$. Real money saver, time saver, spaced perfectly as well as correct soil depth!

Thanks again!

Did this last year and none of my seeds came up. Was so disappointing.

There is no lead in a "lead" pencil! It is graphite (carbon)! The human body contains lots of carbon(graphite)!

Make Your Own Seed Tapes
Homemade Seed Tapes
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 10, 2009
Uses for Masking Tape
Uses for Masking Tape
VHS Tape
Organizing VHS Tapes
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
Masking Tape
Crafts Using Masking Tape
🎄
🍂