DishwasherAppliances

Using a Dishwasher with Well Water

I am having a problem with using my dishwasher with well water. My dishes have film on them. Any suggestions?

By Marsha

It may be several things, not just well water. If you water isn't hot enough the detergent doesn't dissolve well enough and may leave a film. Try different brands of detergent to see if one works better. I find any kind works with very hot water. Do you use a rinse agent? It may give you better results. HTH

Once a week dump some CLR or distilled (clear) vinegar in and run it as if you have dishes (with detergent). You may need to put some powdered water softener into each load, water not soft enough from the well. Do you have a water softener? If not, get a box of Culligan, etc and put about 2 tablespoons in each wash and again in each rinse. Makes the detergent work better too, keeps the working parts of the dishwasher in top order.

I, too, have well water and the only thing that works perfectly in my dishwasher is Electrosol, (new name is Finish). I use the tablets or gel tablets. It is the only one I found without bleach or chlorine in it. All others would leave brown streaks on my dishes from chlorine in the detergent interacting with the iron in my well water. I don't know if this would qualify as a film but my dishes are very clean and spotless. We also have a whole house filter so that helps as well.