Gift Ideas for Widowed Grandpa

My grandpa just lost his wife (my grandma) three months ago. I don't know what to get him for Christmas now. When my grandma was alive I usually got them a gift card to go out to dinner somewhere nice. Any ideas of what to get him would be appreciated. Thank you.

April from Henderson

I think you should still get him the gift card and make a date night with him. He will be especially lonely around the holidays and by you going out to eat with him he will be reminded how much he is loved by those still on earth. God Bless!

Do you live near enough that you could take him out to dinner yourself? I am sure that even though your grandmother is no longer alive, he would enjoy a meal out. Or perhaps he has a friend he could go with. I am sure whatever you choose he will appreciate.

How about a supply of frozen dinners that he could just cook in the micro? Or a box of necessities like toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent, etc....Or a gift card to a grocery or drug store or for gasoline? The idea of taking him out to dinner is great. I see elderly people with their children at my favorite buffet all the time and they always look so happy!

You might take him out to dinner yourself, since he is now alone. He would appreciate the company and I think you will, too.

How about a really nice fuzzy and soft blanket to wrap up in, when he is feeling cold and sad? A mug set with a ton of different coffee, tea or flavored syrups if he is set on one type of coffee. A cleaning service, once a month for a few months, or a year, or a coupon for you to do it.

There are so many things to do. The first thing, is he ready for winter? Does he need gloves etc. What does he need help with? If you have a husband or kids you could all make him a coupon book with ways to help. Say keep walks shoveled and dust the house mop floors. I am assuming at his age he does not drive but just in case he does a book with car washes and cleaning his car inside would tickle him I know my Dad was so happy with his before he passed away and then my mom wanted one.

You could also (getting back to your coupon book.) Promise a day to come in you and your family be it sister's, brother's children, etc. and clean for him. You could invite him for hot cooked meal's. You can make extra and freeze it and when you can take the frozen food over to him to warm up for a hot meal. This could all go into your coupon book.

Check to see if your area where you live has meal's on wheel's they are people who make sure senior citizen's get hot meals. They also have a program where someone comes into clean once a week. Check into that or if you are not strapped for cash you can hire a maid to clean.

Make sure he has rides for appointments. We have a system for old people that will pick older people up and take them to appointments and some places deliver groceries and prescriptions. Make sure he has help with his winter heating bills they have programs for senior's for gas and electric where if he can not make the full payments they will help.

Do all you can to help in these ways they are important. Most important spend time with him on Christmas. He will not want to be alone. Can he spend the night with someone? Right now he will want to talk. Take him to movies but wait until he seems ready but for now all these things he will need help with. And hugs do not forget to add hugs for him in your coupon book. I know I went way over what you asked but I know what he needs and he also needs everyone's help and love most of all.

Does Your Grandpa like to read? How about a gift subscription for a magazine or even the local newspaper? Or if he has a sweet tooth you could do some baking and make up a basket of goodies. If he has a hobby get him something relating to that.

How about a date with you? I bet that would really be appreciated, or have him for dinner once a week.

My mom passed away last year so for Christmas we got my dad gift cards to places like Kentucky Fried Chicken, Applebees & his favorite Pizzaria. This way if you can't take him out as often as you'd like, he can bring take home from his favorite places on you! My dad loved this so much more than things he didn't need. Good Luck.

One of the best gifts is when we give of ourselves, if you live close enough, make & give a few coupons that will be good throughout the year when he wants to use them.

IDEA'S:

A hand-made coupon for a meal out; A coupon for a church social or other function, he'll be your guest; if he has a vehicle - a free car wash; a movie of his choice (popcorn included); a holiday dinner at your home; if he has a pet, a free pet grooming; a free hair cut; a trip to the local grocery store - you'll cart his groceries for him; an item that encourages him to keep up a hobby he likes; a free cleaning of any part of his home would encourage him as I'm sure his chores pile up with only one person to attend them (could include a flower or plant to spruce up his pad); think about what HE likes, even a magazine to encourage a hobby or interest keeps life interesting. I'm sure he'll appreciate your thoughtfullness more than you know.

Make a binder with take out menus and include a few gift certificates for him to order in.

You can be sneaky in asking for his favorite shops or Grandma's.

Check with the stores he usually shops (or grandma shopped in), talk with the managers for ideas of frequently bought items.

Local gas station certificates

Local coffee shop certificates

Books and reading can be difficult with eye issues over the ages, also preferences. Check with his church to see if there is programming in the community you could "subscribe" or get him on a list for--friendly visitors who check daily through phone calls, stopping in, parish nurse may have ideas--older persons needs are much different than other peoples--they say they don't need things--maybe the drawer is full of gloves, books, other unused items. I know when my inlaws (past) and still parents need gifts--most often it is certain grocery staples--NOTHING FANCY they say--buy a case of their favorite juice, mixed cans of vegies, fruit, and again, grocery certificates.

Most single/older persons don't use the bulk sized packages of food items, yet the smaller size DO cost more.

Make sure regular meals are able to be gotten. Help set up a variety of menu choices HE can fix for himself.

My son is a manager of a grocery store and they do daily deliveries (except weekends) and he could give a number of ideas that his shoppers use. For safety reasons and familiarity, he also does the deliveries himself (he's 23) and goes in, put the groceries away to the freezer, fridge, etc. This few extra minutes brings raves of thanks from his elder customers. And a good pat on the back for the business for taking time to make a difference.

A friend of mine loves meals made with chicken. I created a "Chicken of the Month" club certificate and each month prepare a fridge or freezer ready (microwavable) chicken dinner for her to heat up at her convenience.

Does he like to travel? Now that he is alone, traveling may not be safe or lonely for him. Check with your local Senior Citizens centers, most of the time they have trips planned and take a van or have a chartered bus, once a month or sometimes more often to different out of town festivals, plays, or just shopping trips, they also have dances once a month or weekly and men are always in short supply. Maybe he would enjoy making a few new male and female friends who play games together, go to movies and plan meals as a group. Single persons don't usually like to eat alone or will cook one or two things and eat all week on them.

Do you have brothers or sisters near by that could take weekly turns cooking one night a week and invite him over, or each of you cook a single dish and go to his home once a week or more and enjoy the fellowship with him and other family members.

I worked with seniors and the worst thing they faced after losing their spouses was facing a lonely empty house and feeling like they didn't belong anywhere without their mates.

Martha in TN

As soon as I read your letter, I thought just do what you always do, but now you be his date. When someone close to us dies, we just want things to be "normal" again. The same gift you always gave would be nice...I'm sure that a date with such a considerate granddaughter would be something he would love. He may cry, but it will be a good cry and I bet it will be a time you will both treasure and not soon forget. Be ready with a lot of stories of your memories of your grandmother. Our memories keep loved ones alive. Talk about the happy times you remember, the times you laughed together. This way your grandmother will be with you too.

i was with my mom when she passed as was my dad. she did everything for him. he didn't even know where the toilet paper or paper towels were!

i would suggest you spending more time with him and help familrize himself where your grandma kept everything. i remember my dad calling me all the time to ask me if he had pot or pan to make something or where something was. then he slowly started calling less putting things that were comfortable for him. but never ever lose touch with him that is what will break his heart.

robin from nebraska

Hi

Have lost my father I know what you mean for gift ideas and I want to share one with you... I do genealogy and one of the best things to do for someone is a memory book of their childhood to adult life with wife kids and grandkids and greats if there are any... memories are precious and the forever kind of stuff...

Vicki

Im a native West Virginian and doing genealogy has helped me with the loss of my Grandmother my Father and my Husband

Give him the same gift card and make a cute note saying you will be his date when he uses it. He will be thrilled, I imagine.

Take him to a movie, a play, a game...ask him what he'd like to do that he hasn't done lately and take him. Give him YOU.

Row of Wrapped Gifts
Gift Ideas for Seniors
Holidays and Parties Gifts ChristmasOctober 15, 2007
A man giving a gift to his wife.
Gift Ideas for Your Wife
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Easter Gift Box With Chocolate Eggs Inside
Easter Gift Ideas
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
🎄