Butterfly Baby Shower Cake

This is a photo of a shower cake I baked and decorated for a baby shower this weekend. The colors of the napkins were all bright neon colors and McCormick food coloring now sells neon cake coloring. I chose a patchwork pattern, and marked my pattern on the top of the cake with a toothpick, before decorating.

I used only one Wilton tip to fill in the blocks-number 21(STAR tip). I first iced the sides in pale pink, then filled in the top blocks. This requires no top border. Around the base, I used the same tip for a border, piping 2 sides green and two blue. Around the border I piped stars in the different colors. For an added touch I used favor sized pink diaper pins, pink and purple buttons and two small rattlers.

The cake was half Funfetti mix and half fudge mix. This is done by tilting the pan about 3" to the side when pouring in the pan, and doing the same to the other side when adding another flavor of cake mix. They bake together nicely, and some love the middle slices which give you both flavors of cake. It required only one batch of icing. (1 bag Powdered sugar-1 cup Crisco (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE) and a VERY SMALL amount of water and a couple of drops of vanilla flavoring.) Colors for the blocks were mixed in separate bowls.

The guests and Mother-to-be loved it and it was a very easy cake to do. Decorated in 45 minutes or less. This size cake would sell for $30 or more at a bakery. It cost me $6 or less to bake and decorate. DO IT YOURSELF, Moms, it's always more fun!

Sharon from KY

Your cake is beautiful!!

That is absolutely beautiful......took my breath away. You should be very proud.

Awesome pretty cake!

How did you do the twinkly-sparkly look?

Beautiful!

Very beautiful. However patchwork and neon colors?

Did I miss something?

Looks too good to eat, but I would have to sneek me just a small piece.

I apologize for the mix-up in the article about this cake. This is not the photo of the patchwork baby shower cake, but of a birthday cake for my Daughter-in-law. The photo was sent separately,it may show up later! This cake however was a very simple idea of a new twist on a heart shaped cake. I came up with the butterfly idea because she loves butterflies.

Your cake is lovely! I took a cake decorating class back in the late 60's and I've been using a Wilton icing recipe ever since. The only difference is that my recipe calls for cream of tartar also. It's 1 tsp. to a pound of powdered sugar. Try it sometimes.

Baby Shower Cake Ideas
Baby Shower Cake Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties Baby Shower FoodSeptember 6, 2007
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Nightmare Before Christmas Baby Shower Cake
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄