Get Books From The Library

I am an avid reader, and would haunt book stores and buy minimum 3 or 4 books a month. Then I started frequenting thrift stores and would come home with 10 or 12 at a time. I would donate my used books to a local senior center thrift store. Then I realized the LIBRARY was across the street from the senior center thrift store and membership is FREE. Now I can read my favorite author from the first book to the most recent in order, and if the library doesn't have one of the books, they can get it from another library for me. Also, the library has subscriptions to many of the magazines I read, so I no longer subscribe to them. Sometimes I just go and spend a few hours reading the magazines at the library. Once in a while, I do find something I want to add to my personal library, however, all of this has saved me a lot of money in a year.

By Dakota from CO

I LOVE Cookbooks especially all the Food TV stars books. I rent them first from the library and see if I like all the recipes and would really use the book. I Post-it my favorite recipes and try a few. If I am not totally impressed, I copy any recipes that I may want to try in the future and file them by category in a 3 ring binder.

If every recipe is a WOW its a must have for my collection. I have saved a lot of money this way as I used to buy each and every hot release.

I love my library and use it all the time for books, bestsellers, and magazines. My library also has a magazine swap area (bring in your magazine and take one that someone else has placed there).

I also have fun using to share my read books with the world. Its a fun way to do a random at of kindness, fun to read the entries from other readers - like an online world book club - and its free! =)

I love leaving my books in hospital waiting rooms, coffee shops and train stations. =)

My library, and maybe yours, has a "for sale shop" or a book sale during the year. I take my used magazines and any books I've bought and either don't want to read again or weren't what I thought they'd be (different tastes for different people) and though I don't get money for them I figure the library needs all it can get. I wish I could specify where my pennies go, but I guess it's the big guys that get to control that.

I have been using the library a lot lately too. I take my daughter to chess club there on Mon evenings and then Mom gets to sit in peace and quiet and read or look at magazines. Amanda checks out Wii games and I check out DVD's from time to time. Sometimes I just sit and relax and people watch. That hour that I get to unwind at the library while Amanda plays chess is really something I look forward to. Also our library has free activities going on all the time.

Libraries are an often-forgotten resource. In addition to books, there are DVDs and VHS tapes, CDs of music, books on tape and CD, magazines, computers, and references you wouldn't even think about, such as help in creating resumes, filling out applications, scholarship and college information and help. Real librarians have a college degree, and know more than just how to re-shelve books!

That's a great idea! I joined the Paperback Book Swap site online and you only pay to mail a book to another member and with the credits you receive, you can get the book you want "for free". It's a great way to recycle and reuse!

I also am an avid reader and frequent my libraries constantly. In my area (probably like alot of others), my card gives me access to all the Nassau County Libraries. There are three within walking distance from me (I love to walk, drive when absolutely necessary). I only buy cookbooks and crochet/knit and some craft books but for all the others I check them out. Right now I have six books taken out. I also will sit and read the magazines there, also the daily newspaper.

And dvds and cds are also available.

LI Roe

My library is not free, they charge us $50 a year to use their services because we live on the border of the County and don't have our own library service. It sucks to pay that much, but I have learned to use all their services including a Search Service that will get me the books I want to read, when I want them, and DVDs as well. I utilize about 20 items a month from them on average and I feel I am getting my value for that $50 investment. Normally, that's about 2 movies at the Theater near my home, including popcorn and drinks, for one person!

June 7, 2010 Flag

Instead of purchasing that new best-seller, check with your public library and see if you can put your name on the waiting list. Libraries usually get the new books right away -- and "first dibs" go to those on the list! I've read brand-new books for free with little or no wait using this system!

By Becki in Indiana

Get Your Best-Sellers at the Library

I do the same thing! I often check out online bookstores (such as Barnes and Noble or Amazon) to find the new releases or soon to be released books that I'm interested in. Then I go to my local library's web site and see if they're available or on order. If they are, I add my name to the waiting list and wait for the library to call me with the good news that I have a book waiting to be picked up. (06/21/2004)

By Karen in NH

Saving Money On Books, Stacks of old books at a flea market or used book sale.
Saving Money On Books
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 7, 2010
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
A row of old books.
Getting Rid of Your Old Books
Rows of books in a library
Using Your Public Library