Ammonia for Cleaning Oven Racks

By Joyce Lambert 31 146

When my oven racks get dirty or covered with spill-overs, this is what I do. Get a very sturdy thirteen gallon garbage bag, pour enough sudsy ammonia in it to cover the oven rack, lay on a flat surface (preferably outside for ventilation purposes), such as a half sheet of plywood or the picnic table, put the rack in the garbage bag, let sit overnight, remove the next morning.

You should be able to remove the grease and grime with a scrubber and very little effort. You can dilute the ammonia if you wish, but I would not dilute it any more than half water and half ammonia or the results won't be what you are needing.

If you feel that there is not enough of the ammonia covering the rack, you can very carefully turn the bag and rack over, but beware of poking holes in the bag with the oven rack.

By missysmom from Nokomis, AL

December 1, 2012 Flag

I used the ammonia method, but it took two whole bottles to cover the racks. I was unable to get back to them right away and on the third day I took them out of the trash bag, carried them to my bathtub and soaked them in hot soapy water. The burned on cooking spills came off really easily with a steel wool scrubbie, but - yikes! Now my racks are dull. Is there a prescribed amount of time to leave them in the ammonia? I'm really disappointed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Brownies overflowing on oven rack and bottom
Cleaning Oven Racks
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cleaning Oven Racks
Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Cleaning With Ammonia
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 9:03:02 AM on 10.0.1.12 in 707 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings