Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

How do I remove dog urine odor from hardwood floors?

By LA from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

Hydrogen peroxide will not darken the unfinished wood... it actually lightens stained wood. Soak paper towels with peroxide and set over soiled area. You'll be shocked to see the yellow urine absorbed... gross

Are you sure it's not the peroxide absorbing the surface finish up through the towel, not urine!

Anyone use a floor steamer?

We have pre-finished hardwood. That means there's unsealed space between every board that pee can seep into almost immediately even though a sheet of paper won't fit in the cracks.

So when past pups have peed on the floor I've taken our floor steamer and put a bit of Woolite OxY Pet Cleaner, sometimes a bit of vinegar and quickly gone over the hardwood. I never mix two cleaners, and never add more than a bit of any cleaner to the water (less than 5% or so of the mix). Also I don't stop at any spot for more than a second or two to prevent hurting the wood or softening the finish. (I even open up a window because I don't want to breath whatever concoction I'm creating via steam.)

I'm not entirely sure if this has been effective buy my thinking was that the steam would inject itself further into any spaces between the floor boards.

We haven't had odor problems that we know of but our latest little pup is returning to the scene of the crime and repeat peeing. She may be smelling her past urination. So I'm hand spraying enough of that Woolite enzyme cleaner on the boards to let a bit soak into the spaces. I'm only leaving it there for 30 seconds at the most before wiping up though. I don't want blacken hardwood.

I'm looking forward to the day we have our floors refinished and hopefully all the fine seams sealed.

I've never mixed a bit of peroxide in the steamer water. Would that be safe?

Hardwood Floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors
Pets Pet StainsAugust 26, 2010
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors