Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

Use kitchen shears to cut sandwiches, toast or pizza, its a lot easier than trying to cut them with a knife.

By Wiletta from England

Along with my shears, I also use a pizza cutter for sandwiches, pancakes, toast and, of course, pizza!

February 23, 2010 Flag

As the saying goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Not true, I'm 80 and have adopted a new "trick". Our habits are strong, but when I heard that many chefs use scissors for many cooking chores, I decided to give it a try. They are great timesavers to use in place of knives! Cut up raw chicken for stir frys, leftover meats for casseroles, cut up peppers, pre-slices onions. Scissors, in 'my book' are better and faster and cleaner than a special wheel cutter for dividing pizza, too! Keep your special food scissors handy and clean!

By Janet from Conway, NH

Answers:

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

My neighbor took her husband's tin snips for cutting up chickens, etc then puts them in the dishwasher after use. (05/07/2007)

By nancyec

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

I kind of "wow-ed" my California sis-in-law when I placed fresh parsley in a measuring cup and snipped away till it was nicely chopped. She uses fresh herbs all the time and never had seen that trick. I put the scissors in the dishwasher, too. They make regular kitchen scissors that are supposed to do lots of other things, but I usually use the most inexpensive plastic handled ones I can find. (05/07/2007)

By Margie

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

Great job, nett. Knew it was you soon as I started reading this, guess I am now recognize your style of writing. LOL (05/07/2007)

By ROSA

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

I use regular $1 scissors with a plastic handle. I got a magnet hook and hang them on the side of the refrigerator between uses, so I can always find them. They work well for meat, leafy vegetables and even long green onions (in fact they work better for long onions than a knife).
(05/07/2007)

By Cantate

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

Such a good idea. I have some extra pairs of scissors that I got on sale, and I can hang a pair in the kitchen. (05/08/2007)

By Jantoo

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

I have used mine for a long time and now I finally have gotten my mother at age 83 using them. Talk about an old dog learning new tricks! Hahaha! They are much easier for her than a knife. (05/14/2007)

By Diane

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

Yes, they're great, especially the ones for frozen foods and meats. I also truly enjoy my heavy Oriental meat cleaver for large root crop veggies, making cutting them a delight after the first cut in the middle ON THE CUTTING BOARD, of course.

: ) (05/18/2007)

By Lynda

Kitchen Shears for Kitchen Chores

I found mine at a flea market. They will cut anything. I use them for cutting those stubborn box tops and plastic bag tops too. In addition to meat, you can also use them to cut bread strips to toast, cut tortillas to drop into soup, etc. I keep a small pair at the door to the back porch where I grow my herbs. I just go out and snip whatever I want with the scissors. (12/29/2009)

By eveh

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Wooden Utensils in wooden jar
Organizing Kitchen Utensils
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsFebruary 24, 2010
An adult and a child using dusting clothes.
Getting Kids to Help With Chores
Making a Chore Chart for Children
Making a Chore Chart for Children
Sticky Notes With Chores on Board
Organizing Chores
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎉
🎄