Puppy With Bad Breath

How can I cure bad puppy breath? I would like something that is cheap or free.

By Christy from IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hi, when a pup has bad breath it's usually because he has worms (usually a smokey kind of smell). I find Panacur 10% liquid is the best, you can find this cheaper then the vets at caninie chemist, or he could have a little infection. :-)

Answer

I got a puppy for Christmas. He's 7 weeks old. He's part golden retriever and part Rottweiler. He has really bad skunk-like breath. It's so bad that it makes me feel sick. What can I do to fix this problem?

Julie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Congrats on your new puppy! I have a 5 month old husky and a 1 year old Shepard mix. They grow up WAY too fast so enjoy them now!

I have been using a product called the Pet Beverage from BioWorld Products for a while now. It has been amazing. I got my Shepard mix from a local pound and she had really bad body odor and bad breath. I started using the Pet Beverage in April and have not stopped using it. It works great. It is very safe to use on all ages of dogs and it is easy. I just add about an ounce to their water dish every time I fill it and I have noticed a big difference. If I run out, I even notice that their bad breath and body odor come back. So I do know it is the product!

Don't give your puppy the dental bones. I made that mistake with my Shepard when we first got her as a puppy. It didn't say on the box not to give it to puppies so I gave her one. She devoured it within seconds and so I was concerned and went on their website and on there it said not to give it to puppies. They should have put it on the box somewhere big!

Good luck with the new puppy! The potty training is the hardest! Ha.

http://www.adbio.com/pet-beverage.htm (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Oh yeah, and about dog gas, I heard it can be caused by highly digestible dog food. I give my dog science diet which is highly digestible. The vet told us we should probably try another food. I just bought like 5 bags because they were on sale but I might be changing soon. If you do change, you need to mix their old food with the new food. Otherwise it will upset their stomach! (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Some pups eat their poop or eat cat poop. Why? Because they find it interesting! They also like to lick their butts, so bad breath happens there too. Buy a baby soft toothbrush and just use plain water and rub their gums and teeth GENTLY. A tiny dab of doggy toothpaste for pups. (01/10/2009)

By meoowmom

Puppy With Bad Breath

Puppies normally have skunk-like breath; they will outgrow it in a few weeks. (01/10/2009)

By doglvr

Puppy With Bad Breath

It's funny to read how many people say that puppies have bad breath. I always thought my little Shitzu's breath was so sweet when she was a pup. She's an old lady now and smells like it!

Anyway, one thing I didn't see mentioned in the feedback was a possible abscessed tooth. I had a dog one time that had rotten breath, and when the vet looked at her teeth, it turned out she had an abscess (infection) in her tooth. They removed it and the problem got much better. I'm not sure how likely a puppy would be to have an infected tooth, but perhaps if he/she was chewing on something and it damaged the tooth or gums, it's possible that area got infected. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Puppy With Bad Breath

What you are smelling is puppy breath. It is what the mother's milk smells like. I love the smell of it! I like the smell of skunk too. I know *weird*. It should start smelling like normal stinky dog breath after about a week off the mama. (11/07/2009)

By AshleyMc

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My golden retriever puppy has horrible breath and a consistent case of gas. Any tips on freshening his breath? He gets a small amount of soft food mixed in with his hard food each day. I've tried dental sticks, bones and specialty treats.

Mel from Atlanta, GA

Puppy With Bad Breath

Our kitten had bad gas when he was on kitten food. We tried him on different high end brands of kitten food to no avail. After consulting our vet we were advised he was old enough to go on adult food and we haven't had that problem since (well, at least it wasn't as frequent anymore!).

For the cat's bad breath we picked up some tooth paste at the vet's. It tastes like chicken. :) Whenever it stinks, we do a quick brush with it over his teeth and gums (just a couple of swipes with a kid's soft toothbrush). He doesn't like it, but it only takes a couple minutes, and he likes the taste. Works well to reduce the smell. (02/09/2008)

By Kelly

Puppy With Bad Breath

Hi Mel From Atlanta! I'm Paula from Savannah! I too have a golden...lovely dog! Check the roof of your puppy's mouth. I had a dog once (a stray that I took in) that had a stick stuck in the roof of his mouth. It had been there awhile, the flesh was growing around it. Had a bad infection. Got him straightened out with a trip to the vet. Good luck with your pup! (02/09/2008)

By Paula in ga

Puppy With Bad Breath

I would change his diet, as he isn't digesting everything if he is getting gas. That means no table food. Get a better quality dog food like Science diet, Iams, I personally use Eukanuba which is total digestive. This will make the breath smell better. If it doesn't work take him to the Vet. You can look on the bag and it will say totally digestible.
These foods are more expensive but worth it in the long run. (02/09/2008)

By Sally

Puppy With Bad Breath

Check roof of mouth for small stick. My pup has done this to herself twice now. The stick breaks to the width of her mouth between her molars and becomes firmly lodged, then starts to stink to high heaven after a day or two. (02/18/2008)

By Paul

Puppy With Bad Breath

My 6 month old mini dachshund has horrible breath and teeth falling out. Is this a normal thing for a 6 month old puppy? (04/21/2008)

By Carly

Puppy With Bad Breath

When we bought our first Golden puppy she was only 6 weeks old and had terrible breath. We called it skunk breath because that's what it smelled like. We were told that it was from the Mother's milk and that it would disappear in time and it did. I always kept a hardened bone for her made by Red Barn. They come individually wrapped and are filled with many different flavors and they come plain or basted. She loved them and would chew on them obsessively. Her teeth up until the time of her death were beautiful and she never had bad breath again. Her vet was very impressed with her beautiful teeth. (05/30/2008)

By Beverly

Puppy With Bad Breath

My puppy had very bad breath and body odor when we brought her home from a local shelter. I started using a product I found online called The Pet Beverage. I just add a little to her water everyday and after about a week, she didn't smell anymore. No bad breath, body odor and her coat even looked shinier. Every pet owner should try this product! Especially if you are like me and let your pets sleep with you at night! There is nothing worse then waking up to your dog slobbing you with kisses with bad breath! haha

http://www.adbio.com/pet-beverage.htm (06/25/2008)

By Joni B

Puppy With Bad Breath

My puppy just started getting bad breath, and she is now 4 months old. She's losing teeth like crazy, so I'm assuming it may be linked? She eats dry food only. (08/06/2008)

By Amy

Puppy With Bad Breath

My shoodle puppy has really bad breath. We give him dental bones but it doesn't seem to work and he's losing teeth. (09/24/2008)

By amy

Puppy With Bad Breath

My opinion...

Puppies probably do not have developed "predigestive enzymes" in their mouths like humans do, and I would guess, adult dogs probably do. Though we have bad breath at times, it normally is not like a puppies (except those adults with deficient nutrition).

So the food particles ferment and cause a rotting odor. Remember they are designed to suck from the nipple til 8 weeks, and then start with food brought by their mother, which I would guess is meat, meat, meat.

In humans, at least, proteins are not digested in the mouth at all, they are broken down by stomach acid, then digested in intestines. Carbs are broken down by saliva that forms when food is in mouth, that slimy feeling in the back of one's throat (if you chew long enough that is!). This pre-digests carbs...which are then cleansed in the stomach (not broken down) and then further broken down in the intestines.

My guess is that puppies are better on meat, less of a rotting smell, until they lose their temp teeth., just a guess, no research done on puppy enzymes in mouth. Adult dogs need a 50/50 carb/protein mix...puppies may need (another surmise) a bit more protein.

I think the more carbs (cheap dog foods are loaded with carbs hidden in those little mystery meat chunks, you know those neat little square "meat cubes") Even expensive dog foods have carbs in their meats. I would suggest beef for the puppy mostly (some carbs, even fresh fruit snacks, little ones 1/2 hour before eating-gives you time to prep his food while the snack digests). Just hold beef in the air over a puppy, then do the same with dog food (the response is quite dramatically different).

I am not saying no carbs, just that a puppy instinctively has an attraction to meat..a lot. (12/20/2008)

By Bud

Puppy With Bad Breath

I started using a product called the Pet Beverage that has helped. I started a few months ago with my 2 dogs. One had really bad puppy breath and the other had really bad gas (it would clear the room it was so bad!). I just added it to their water everyday and I noticed a big difference after about a week. I was surprised at how well it worked! (12/23/2008)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any advice on bad puppy breath? Puppy is 7 weeks old.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please tell us what to do with Puppy Bad Breath. He is a Silky Terrier. Your help appreciated.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 7, 2010
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 4:06:01 AM on 10.0.1.178 in 276 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.