Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Puppy With Bad Breath

How can I cure bad puppy breath? I would like something that is cheap or free.

By Christy from IN

By Angie01/11/2010

Hi, when a pup has bad breath it's usually because he has worms (usually a smokey kind of smell). I find Panacur 10% liquid is the best, you can find this cheaper then the vets at caninie chemist, or he could have a little infection. :-)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Puppy With Bad Breath

Please tell us what to do with Puppy Bad Breath. He is a Silky Terrier. Your help appreciated.

Linda

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I am no VET, but if it is still a pup- it will eventually loose the puppy teeth, but in the meantime- they (walmart, petsmart, etc.) sell toothbrushes and toothpaste that are safe for puppies and dogs and also milkbones (or dentabones) help. It's very important to take care of dog's teeth because as they get older, they will develop tartar and they will fall out if not taken care of. (01/13/2005)

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

We had a puppy that had that problem. The milkbones for breath are a very good idea. We found out our puppy had part wolf and instinctively was eating her waste to hide her scent. You might want to make sure there's not a logical reason the puppy's breath is smelling bad. (01/13/2005)

By Deb

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I would make sure she's been checked by a vet for a possible health issue that might be causing it. Also a good dog food is important. Many cheap dog foods have so much crap in them they could cause bad breath. (01/13/2005)

By Vic

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

Rita, have you had the puppy checked for worms? Or it's teeth checked? Worm infestation can cause bad breath. Bonnie (01/14/2005)

By Ztwain

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

We had the same problem and switched to the expensive puppy food and the problem was gone. The good news is the more expensive food is higher quality and the puppy will need less to be satisfied, making the price difference almost even. (01/14/2005)

By Lynn

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I have had that problem before and both times it was some food item that was stuck in between the puppies teeth. I would suggest a vet also. (01/27/2005)

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I don't know how old your puppy is but normally bad breath in a dog is from the a bad tooth, teeth, or the teeth needing cleaning. The bad breath in my dog was cured by having the teeth cleaned and there were a few that were bad. Unfortunately I now have another older dog with horrid breath, but since they have to be put to sleep to clean them, she would not make it. There also is toothpaste just for dogs. Do not use regular toothpaste. Guess they would do better if they got brushed daily, just like we do. Oh, yes, there is also a doggy mouth spray, but I would get rid of the problem not cover it up. (02/13/2005)

By Vanna

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

As mentioned before, the food is an important factor. If you give the dog canned food then do yourself and the pup a favor and buy the good stuff.

Our dogs breath was so terrible even on the expensive canned food, so we switched to a dry food only diet. Just make sure to wean him off the canned food over a couple weeks and make sure to give him more water in his water bowl to replace the water he would have gotten from the moist food. As a side effect of this change we didn't have to deal with our dog's relative gassiness.

Theres also a dog bone product out there called "greenies" My dog loves them and it really helps clean their teeth. (07/30/2005)

By Orion

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I have a poodle with bad breath. I took him to the vet and he had a couple of teethe pulled. I was told it's a poodle thing. Be careful, I had bought at PetSmart liquid breath drops for dogs and it gave him temporary paralysis. It stopped as soon as I discontinued the drops. My grandmother used to use Binaca breath spray on her dogs. (08/08/2005)

By Pugsley1979

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

I have a 12 week old Pomeranian. Symba had developed bad breath a couple of weeks ago. The breath that smells like really bad salmon. We cured Symba's breath problem with "greenies." You can find these at online pet stores, your local pet store and Ebay. Symba loves his greenies. (11/14/2005)

By familyofworship

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygiene Solution! You just add it to their drinking water! It is doggy mouthwash developed from their people mouthwash. And it will help keep tartar and plaque off their teeth and clean of the tartar and plaque they do have. http://www.oxyfreshww.com/cjm (02/27/2006)

By cj1617

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

They make ropes "laced" with baking soda and other teeth cleaning agents, and are even woven to include pieces of "floss"... these ropes can be found in larger pet stores. (10/05/2006)

By Dee

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

My puppy will be 6 months old on the feb 25! Just about a week ago her breath started to smell just awful! Last night she lost her very first baby tooth(that I know about) and again today she lost another one! I am assuming that her bad breath may be from her puppy teeth! What do you think? (02/21/2007)

By Lara

RE: Puppy With Bad Breath

What a coincidence. I was looking up "puppy with bad breath" on the internet and found this site. My dog is also a silky terrier, less than one year old, and her breath is stinky!! She did used to eat poo when she was little, maybe she still does but has become better at hiding that habit. But I will try some of the tips given here. (10/18/2007)

By Robin

Archive: Puppy With Bad Breath

Any advice on bad puppy breath? Puppy is 7 weeks old.

Archive: Puppy With Bad Breath

My golden retriever puppy has horrible breath and a consistent case of gas. Any tips on freshening his breath?

Archive: Puppy With Bad Breath

I got a puppy for Christmas. He's 7 weeks old. He's part golden retriever and part Rottweiler. He has really bad skunk-like breath. It's so bad that it makes me feel sick. What can I do to fix this problem?