Product FinderConsumer Advice

Alternate Rival Vacuum Sealer Bags

I am using a Rival vacuum sealer to freeze my husband's garden goodies. I am almost out of the bags that came with the vacuum sealer. I know they are expensive; does anyone know of a source for the cheapest bags or how to use an alternate bag? We tried to use other bags and the vacuum wouldn't work with them.

Thanks so much.

Millie from Williamsburg

My Wal-Mart sells individual roles of food Saver bags and another brand, which is a little cheaper, I don't particularly like the off brand and it doesn't seem to hold a seal as well.

You can find them on the Internet. It is just easier for me to go down to Wal-Mart and save the shipping and handling.

As for trying to Vacuum seal any other type of plastic bag it needs air channels to sucked the air through a smooth piece of plastic will just suck down on itself. I have placed food in other plastic bags and then into the food saver bag then Vacuum with success, but you need the food saver bag, it is really worth it in the long run to buy the right bags, you can wash them out and use them again and again.

I find that buying them from Sam's is cheaper than Wal-Mart or even through Foodsaver's web site.

I don't shop at Wally mart or sam's ripoff club but I've found that Target has the best price and they do occasionally go on sale. Foodsaver brand seem to be the best, I always seal mine twice about a half inch apart. usually about $8.99 a roll or pack of bags.

Be careful when re-using plastic bags. I read on the USDA website that you stand of chance of botulism when re-using plastic bags even if you wash them.

I do reuse some of my bags but not if they have had meat in them. I wash them with dish soap and hot water and let them dry thoroughly.

I buy mine online ebay, just pick anyone who has 100 % feedback and you;ll do fine.stay away from the bags that say they have mesh-they don't seal as well. I don't remember how much I pay for them but they are a lot less expensive than the name brand.

I always get all of mine at:

http://www.thes  page/2380629.htm