Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

My boyfriend is 22 and I'm 16. We've been together for 16 months. He has a really good job and a lot of money and he plans on spending a lot of money on me for Christmas. I don't have a job since I'm still in high school, but I wanna buy him something and I don't have a lot of money. I don't wanna be a bad girlfriend and buy him something cheap and then get really good stuff from him. What should I get him?

By s2amandas2

Best Answer

I think you get him what you can. If it comes from your heart, that's the most important thing. If he doesn't care for it b/c it wasn't expensive enough, you might want to think hard about being with him. Plenty of things have value that don't cost a lot of money.

Best of luck! I hope you find the perfect gift for him, and that he loves it.

Best Answer

It doesn't have to be a material present and if he truly loves you more than expensive items he won't expect a material gift and if he does expect it then it's time to kick him to the curb (I say this from experience).

How about simply buying a nice Christmas Card to give to him on Christmas Eve (or a day or two before) when he comes in the door but hand it to him with a big bow tied around your waist and peaceful Christmas music playing in the background and a candlelight table set for a homecooked meal ready to serve?

To me anyway, the romantic jesture and quality time spent together is worth far more than an item.

Why is a 16 year old going with a 22 year old? If you were my daughter you would just barely be allowed to date.

First I'm going to address the gift-giving. A reasonable and mature partner will understand when the other one doesn't earn as much money, and therefore the gifts will not cost as much. And just because something costs a lot of money, that doesn't make it "good." There are plenty of things in the stores that cost a lot and are really cheap junk. Homemade gifts can be very meaningful, and while they might cost less in materials, have much more sentimental value. When I was a kid, I made stationery sets for my friends, pillows, crocheted scarves, etc. I had a friend who moved to Germany, and I bought a nice frame and put my picture in it for him.

I'm concerned that you would consider yourself a "bad girlfriend" because your gift costs less. Are you putting that label on yourself, or has he done something to make you feel that way?

And I'm concerned about your age difference. I know you didn't ask for this, but since you brought up the age difference, I have to address it. At sixteen it might be nice to have a twenty-two year old boyfriend. But thinking back, I don't think any of the "normal" twenty two year old guys I knew would want to be with a sixteen year old. Unless he was taking advantage of her naivete and the situation. I don't know you, and I don't know your boyfriend. It could be different. But please proceed with caution. Don't give him too much of your heart (or anything else) too soon. The girls I knew who messed around with guys so much older ended up getting in trouble, or with terribly broken hearts (sometimes both). You can do the math, he's six years older than you. At your age, that's over one-third of your life. To me, something about that seems creepy. You've been with him for over a year, so that means you were 14 or 15 when you got together. That seems even worse. I hate to sound like a Negative Nelly, but please be careful.

I wish you the best. If you're still worried about how much he'll spend on you, and how little you'll spend on him, ask him not to spend so much. If you explain that it makes you uncomfortable, or that it makes you feel bad, he should do as you wish (again, if he's reasonable and mature). Be careful!

Please read, re-read and read once again the post by "Mrs.Story" (below). I understand that this young man is very important in your life, but "Mrs.Story's" remarks are kind and wise. Gift giving has nothing to do with the price of the gift and everything to do with the thought and intent behind the gift. Act the intelligent young woman you are and think this decision through your brain and gut before letting your heart take over.

Expensive gifts are nice, but the heartfelt ones mean the most. Just don't forget that, ever! Hope you have an enlightening Christmas season and Best wishes for the New Year!

I will make it short and sweet. He is too old for you. Way too old. Get out of the relationship before you get hurt in more ways than one.

I am glad I am not the only one concerned with the age difference. Where I am from, that could be construed as statutory rape, depending on the stage of the relationship. And, anyway, where is the parent in this situation?

The local statues of your state comes to mind. Are your parents really ok with this? It also means you have been with him since you were 15 and he was 21, too young and way old enough to know what is right and not so right.

I also agree with mrs.story and I also ask what are your parents are thinking about this relationship. If you were already grown and on your own I would not have a problem with your age difference at all but you are still a child and he is an adult. You were still a child and he was still an adult when you became boyfriend and girlfriend. Something is just not right with his attraction to a child :-( I promise I am not being mean but please be careful and protect your heart, mind and body! And remember, all of us leaving our thoughts and advice for you were also 16 years old once upon a time.

It just doesn't make sense for you to compare the gifts you two will be exchanging since he's so much older than you AND working! If you don't have any money, you can't buy him anything. It's that simple. But you can cut slips of paper, write one thought on each that you really like about him, roll them up, put them in a jar with a lid, decorate the jar, and label it "You Mean So Much".

Now for the "lecture"! Please read over the previous posts, and my thoughts as well. A lot of us have been in a similar situation as yours and worry about you, we want you to proceed carefully in this relationship. Be sure your guy is treating you with dignity and respect, that he listens to you (really listens), that he wants what's best for you, that he wants you to finish school, etc.

Good luck!

Three cheers to everyone here who gave this young lady advice regarding the age difference situation!

November 29, 2010 Flag

My boyfriend and I have only been together about a month, but I've known him for awhile. I still can't seem to come up with a Christmas gift though. At least one that isn't expensive. I almost never have much money to spare and he has a job that pays good and lives in a decent appartment and everything. I really want get him something that he'll like, but I can't think of anything I can afford. Please help me.

By Jess from Naples, Italy (navy)

Answers:

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

You can make a print out of a nice gift card on the computer for a free in house massage and a dinner, it's you with a good meal, some vino and a cute outfit to give him the massage. Trust me this works. Also a free car wax with a girl in a bikini, and it's you! Trust me you won't be waxing for long.

Last year my fiancee and I made a deal for no expensive gifts, only 1 gift each and it had to be under $40.00. It turned out we themed it as a "Trailer Park X-mas". I got PJ's with flamingos on them from Wal-mart and he likes to bake so I got him a brownie making kit with Nascar paper plates to go with it. We had South Park on with a pink X-mas tree and cooked all day. Sounds silly, but it was fun and inexpensive.
Good luck! (10/27/2010)

By Nadine1077

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

Buy him a magazine subscription, usually around $25. Make sure it's something he is interested in, but a bit different. Even if you break up he will have you for a year! (10/27/2010)

By Judy

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

Burn a CD for him of music that you know he likes, think he'll like and some that has meaning for you and for him and for you as a couple. Your time and creativity are free, but worth so much more than anything purchased in a shop! (10/27/2010)

By sojournertam

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

Give him the gift of yourself! Christmas doesn't have to mean spending money you don't have. Cook his favorite meal wearing something sexy. Get some wide ribbon and strategically wrap yourself in it with a big bow on top. Go to a health food store and get some base oil and an essential oil that smells good and add it to the warmed oil, light some candles, put on some soft music, give him a massage. If you don't know how, there are lots of books with pictures out there. Try Amazon! (10/27/2010)

By Ms Frugal

October 24, 2010 Flag

I have a new boyfriend and I am not sure what to get him for Christmas. We have not been dating long, so I do not want to spend a lot of money, but I want to get something he will like. Any ideas?

By Emily from KY

Answers:

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

The best way to a man's heart is though food! Cook him dinner. Show him you can be domestic!

You could also fill a stocking with all the things guys need, razors, socks, hair comb, gum, mints, candy, and a couple kids toys to show your fun!

Good luck! Boys are always hard to shop for. I got boxers and socks one year for my boyfriend (now husband) because they could always use those! (12/16/2009)

By MelissaF

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

Buy a teddy bear from your nearest thrift shop or buy it brand new. Then, in the same thrift shop glide on over to the kids section. Pick out an outfit that will fit the teddy bear and match the personality of your lovely boyfriend. (12/18/2009)

By thriftergirl

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

How about a meal certificate. Where you buy his and he buys yours; cost of each can be no more then $15 a piece or any amount of money that you put on it.

Just remember your not the only one that is nervous about this he is too, so make the above suggestion to him. I am sure he will appreciate it a lot and you'll both have a nice time! (12/20/2009)

By Paula Jo Carr

Frugal Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

Even though you haven't been together long, you probably know where he likes to eat and where he buys his gas. Perhaps a gift card for one or the other, in an amount you can afford? (12/24/2009)

By JustPlainJo

December 15, 2009 Flag

I am 18 years old and I live with my 22 year old boyfriend. Christmas is coming up and I really don't know what to get him. He likes things that cost a good amount of money and I don't make that much.

boyfriend and girlfriend at Christmas
Christmas Gift Ideas for My Boyfriend
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalNovember 29, 2010
Boyfriend and Girlfriend
Locating an Old Boyfriend
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
A girlfriend giving her boyfriend a gift.
Christmas Gift Ideas for an Adult Boyfriend
Anniversary Gift Ideas for a Boyfriend
Anniversary Gift Ideas for a Boyfriend
🎉
🎄