Browsing: Removing Wallpaper Glue from Walls

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I would like to know what to use to get old wallpaper paste off a wall so I can paint and put up new wallpaper border. Thanks.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Sander

Do you get sugar soap in the US?

I have had no problem with this if I use a scratchy pad. You can get them at the dollar store for approximately 5 in a pack. Use warm water with a lot of fabric softener in it. Then rinse with vinegar water.

April 21, 2011 Flag

I removed wallpaper from my wall, but I am unable to remove the glue on the wall. I have tried vinegar, softener, dish washing solution, and other solutions, but I have failed. Please guide me on how to remove the glue more easily.

Roumila

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I have used the softener method many times. You have to let it sit for a while and repeat the process often for each small section. Then scrape with a rubber spatula. I've never used a wallpaper steamer to remove anything, but they say it works well. But, like the other way, you have to hold it on the area for a while. Just be sure to wash the walls well when you are finished, no matter what method you use. (11/18/2010)

By PDG

November 15, 2010 Flag

There's a solution that I've seen sprayed on the glue after the wallpaper has been ripped off, but I can't remember what it was. It was not something bought, but simple liquids found in most homes.

By Retta from Miami, FL

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I have the same project partially done in a room with plaster walls. The paper is off completely, but I need to clean the walls before I prime and paint again. After reading all the posts below, it seems to me that the objective should be to rehydrate the remaining glue, whether the paper is on the wall still or not. Dawn is notorious for cutting through things that contain oils or greases (which adhesives tend to). Vinegar is a good second option, may also try just a touch of ammonia in water as a test.

Am also wondering if maybe making a thin paste of whatever takes the glue off so that it doesn't run down the wall and stays where you put it. I have a ceiling border to deal with in another room; cornstarch, maybe? I am hesitant to try the fabric softener, as it tends to coat fabrics, so why wouldn't it coat the wall, which in turn might interfere with getting paint to adhere later? I don't know, just thinking out loud. (09/03/2010)

By ladybanksia99

August 31, 2010 Flag

How do you remove glue from the walls after removing wallpaper?

By Magaha

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

Usually you keep using whatever wallpaper stripper you used to remove the wallpaper to also remove the paste. I always use Dif concentrate from Zinsser. You mix it with warm or hot water and it works pretty well. (01/29/2010)

By Hawker19

Removing Wallpaper Glue

We just had a weekend project removing wallpaper border from sheet-rock and it left a very thin layer of residue that was sticky to the touch. We tried almost everything in this forum to remove it: soap and hot water, sponges, scrubbing, fabric softener, GooGone, masking tape, Dif, vinegar, Dobies, Green Works....you name it, we tried it.

In the end what we wound up doing was going to Home Depot and buying 100 grit sandpaper and a gallon (way too much, by the way, for our little room and problem area where the wallpaper border was) of "Gardz Problem Surface Sealer" by Zinsser. We then sanded down as much as we could to make the walls smooth (but not digging into the sheet-rock) and then applied the Gardz. It is very runny/milky and doesn't seem at first glance like it would do anything, but after applying that to the residue and waiting 3 hours (per can directions), we were then able to paint over the residue with no problem at all! (03/29/2010)

By dodger9876543

January 27, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to get old wallpaper glue off of walls? Most of it came off with wallpaper stripper, but there are still little bits left here and there.

By Shirlgirl from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Removing Wall Paper Glue

Use one of those sponges with the scrubby thing on one side with some Lestoil in water. After scrubbing, go over the wall with a wash cloth type rag. If it seems that you are not getting it all off, wait until the wall is dry and you will see that you probably did. (07/17/2009)

By Beth

July 14, 2009 Flag

I have removed the wall paper border, but the adhesive remained. Any ideas of how to remove, or can you just paint over it?

June 17, 2008 Flag

I have removed the vinyl layer of the wall paper which apparently has been on for 20 years but the paper part and glue is only coming off in tiny pieces.

Removing Wallpaper Glue
Removing Wallpaper Glue from Walls
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperApril 21, 2011
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Wallpaper Glue
Removing Painted Wallpaper Glue
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 11:03:53 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 802 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.