Removing Wallpaper Glue

I would like to know what to use to get old wallpaper paste off a wall so I can paint and put up new wallpaper border. Thanks.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Sander

Do you get sugar soap in the US?

I have had no problem with this if I use a scratchy pad. You can get them at the dollar store for approximately 5 in a pack. Use warm water with a lot of fabric softener in it. Then rinse with vinegar water.

April 21, 2011 Flag

I removed wallpaper from my wall, but I am unable to remove the glue on the wall. I have tried vinegar, softener, dish washing solution, and other solutions, but I have failed. Please guide me on how to remove the glue more easily.

Roumila

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I have used the softener method many times. You have to let it sit for a while and repeat the process often for each small section. Then scrape with a rubber spatula. I've never used a wallpaper steamer to remove anything, but they say it works well. But, like the other way, you have to hold it on the area for a while. Just be sure to wash the walls well when you are finished, no matter what method you use. (11/18/2010)

By PDG

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 15, 2010 Flag

There's a solution that I've seen sprayed on the glue after the wallpaper has been ripped off, but I can't remember what it was. It was not something bought, but simple liquids found in most homes.

By Retta from Miami, FL

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I have the same project partially done in a room with plaster walls. The paper is off completely, but I need to clean the walls before I prime and paint again. After reading all the posts below, it seems to me that the objective should be to rehydrate the remaining glue, whether the paper is on the wall still or not. Dawn is notorious for cutting through things that contain oils or greases (which adhesives tend to). Vinegar is a good second option, may also try just a touch of ammonia in water as a test.

Am also wondering if maybe making a thin paste of whatever takes the glue off so that it doesn't run down the wall and stays where you put it. I have a ceiling border to deal with in another room; cornstarch, maybe? I am hesitant to try the fabric softener, as it tends to coat fabrics, so why wouldn't it coat the wall, which in turn might interfere with getting paint to adhere later? I don't know, just thinking out loud. (09/03/2010)

By ladybanksia99

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 31, 2010 Flag

How do you remove glue from the walls after removing wallpaper?

By Magaha

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

Usually you keep using whatever wallpaper stripper you used to remove the wallpaper to also remove the paste. I always use Dif concentrate from Zinsser. You mix it with warm or hot water and it works pretty well. (01/29/2010)

By Hawker19

Removing Wallpaper Glue

We just had a weekend project removing wallpaper border from sheet-rock and it left a very thin layer of residue that was sticky to the touch. We tried almost everything in this forum to remove it: soap and hot water, sponges, scrubbing, fabric softener, GooGone, masking tape, Dif, vinegar, Dobies, Green Works....you name it, we tried it.

In the end what we wound up doing was going to Home Depot and buying 100 grit sandpaper and a gallon (way too much, by the way, for our little room and problem area where the wallpaper border was) of "Gardz Problem Surface Sealer" by Zinsser. We then sanded down as much as we could to make the walls smooth (but not digging into the sheet-rock) and then applied the Gardz. It is very runny/milky and doesn't seem at first glance like it would do anything, but after applying that to the residue and waiting 3 hours (per can directions), we were then able to paint over the residue with no problem at all! (03/29/2010)

By dodger9876543

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to get old wallpaper glue off of walls? Most of it came off with wallpaper stripper, but there are still little bits left here and there.

By Shirlgirl from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Removing Wall Paper Glue

Use one of those sponges with the scrubby thing on one side with some Lestoil in water. After scrubbing, go over the wall with a wash cloth type rag. If it seems that you are not getting it all off, wait until the wall is dry and you will see that you probably did. (07/17/2009)

By Beth

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2009 Flag

I have removed the wall paper border, but the adhesive remained. Any idea's of how to remove, or can you just paint over it? Thank You

Dorothy from Madison, WI

Answers:

Removing Wall Paper Glue

Try vinegar like 1/2 a cup in some hot water. Use an old cloth and wipe it on, let it set. Don't let it drip down the walls. This should remove the glue. Also a plastic scraper once the glue has been softened might help. When you paint over a "messy" area it will show beneath your nice new paint job. Also, the walls should be washed well with a solution of TSP, found in hardware stores. Wash from the bottom up. Rinsing your cloth in a bucket of clean water between washings helps to keep the walls streak free. Painting is the easy part, the prep is the work. (06/17/2008)

By Amanda

Removing Wall Paper Glue

There is a product by Zisser called DIF. I'd be cautious about using vinegar on sheet rock because it is what is added to tape/bedding "mud" to soften it so it will dry slower. The vinegar might affect dry sheet rock through tiny holes or cracks? God bless and help you.
(06/18/2008)

By Lynda

Removing Wall Paper Glue

We had 4 layers of wallpaper over plaster walls dating back at least 60 years. We used DIF to remove the paper, but were left with a lot of sticky glue. I sprayed the wall with Green Works Natual All-Purpose cleaner. I let it sit for about 2 minutes and then using a Dobie Pad and very hot water wiped the glue off with little effort. I was left with very smooth walls. (07/26/2008)

By Sandy65

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I had the most success with the heavy duty Dawn and vinegar. (08/03/2008)

By njn343

Removing Wall Paper Glue

A mixture of hot water and laundry softener and some detergent, and a wet sanding sponge. Wet, sand it off (keep rinsing the sponge), then wipe of with a hot, wet rag. Works like a charm. You can also use Dawn soap, the sanding sponge is the key to getting the left over glue off. (10/03/2008)

By Crystal

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I read the comments and tried the Dawn solution, very hot water, and a Chore Boy pad/sponge. After working the wall and rinsing frequently, I followed with a wipe down of very hot clear water and 1 cup vinegar as a final step to clean and neutralize. If none of this works for you as was the case with a friend and you are ready to throw in the towel, because the wall is damaged and requires too much repair, do what my friend did. She had a light knockdown texture applied to her walls and then painted them. Actually, they look awesome. (10/21/2008)

By Julie

Removing Wall Paper Glue

(submitted via email)
I had the same problem. I used the product Wallwik. Go to wallwik.com. It really works.

Tina (12/29/2008)

By jess

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I have a Conair Stand Up Stream Pressing Wand which works wonders. Then wipe with vinegar and hot water not letting it run down your wall. Good luck. (02/23/2009)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2008 Flag

I have removed the vinyl layer of the wall paper which apparently has been on for 20 years but the paper part and glue is only coming off in tiny pieces.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Removing Wallpaper Glue
Removing Wallpaper Glue from Walls
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperApril 21, 2011
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Wallpaper Glue
Removing Painted Wallpaper Glue
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 1:25:14 AM on 10.0.2.58 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.