Setting Up an Above Ground Pool

We have an 18' above ground pool. This is all new to us. We have it up and filled and have been in it, but don't have the pump and filter going. I need detailed instructions for where to put the chlorine tabs and how many. Do I use shock treatment and check the ph level now? We are just frustrated in trying to find out the answers and I am afraid we will have to refill it if we don't get started on it immediately. Thanks!

By Janie from Centerville, IA

I had a similar pool a few years ago and we put the chlorine tabs in a floating container made for that purpose. I don't remember having to check the chlorine or ph level, but we may have.

Sorry that I don't have more info for you.

Here's a link that is fairly easy to understand.

Don't worry about refilling your pool. I have had an above ground pool since 1997. I leave water in the pool year round. I do live in GA, but it does get cold and I winterize the pool. Once you get the filter/pump can clean and disinfect the water. I watch the free chlorine and PH mainly. Use baking soda and chlorine only. Shock as needed with chlorine. Buy a large bag of baking soda.

If you have test stips I'd check it now. The test strip and box usually have good instructions. The chlorine level is important for your safety as a germ killer. Right now I'd use a floater to kill germs with the chlorine tablets. Just fill it with tablets and float it in the pool. You can shock the water also. One bag should do for your size pool. Make sure you spread out the shock all around. Sprinkle it on the top of the water all around the sides. Make sure to not let the chlorine sit on the floor of your pool liner, as it will bleach the color out.

I still get frustrated with all the jargon. But it takes time to get in the hang of the chemicals...The bag of baking soda (Arm and Hammer) has instructions on how much to use...

Enjoy your pool!

Even if it turns green you don't have to dump the water.

Check valves belong before the filter (use the teflon tape) and after. I also put one on the outlet for cleaning out the filer (total of 3 check valves). Shock the pool to get the levels within norms.

By the way the 3 in chlorine tabs are great in the toilet tank if you have hard water 0 change flapper to one for chemicals mine is orangey yellow color.

I had a crystal clear pool for years and I just winged it. But I had a method. I always shocked the pool once a week and floated chlorine tabs. I pumped the pool for at least 4 hours a day. Kept the bottom vacuumed once a week, cleaned the filter once a month, and my main secret was that I kept the water level at the recommended level for the pump to work properly once a week, so I ended up always putting a good amount of fresh water into the pool. My water level always dropped at least an inch or 2 a week because when I vacuumed, I let the water leave the pool ( I siphoned the water out from the bottom) so that can be a lot of fresh water, but it was worth every fricking penny cause once your pool goes green just from a little neglect, forget it. No treatment ever worked well and I always ended up taking out half the water and filling it with fresh to get the algae out.

Hope that helps. Have fun

Home and Garden Home Improvement Pools and Hot TubsJuly 1, 2010
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
A blue above ground swimming pool.
Cleaning an Above Ground Pool
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool