Plant Ideas for a New Gardener

I am getting real plants for the first time. Not knowing much about what flowers do best in what regions doesn't help. I am not very good with living things other than humans and animals. I need something low maintenance, but beautiful. I live in Greensboro, NC and to give you an idea of what I like (but probably can't keep alive) I would have to say orchids, lilies, tulips, sunflowers, and a few others. Any suggestions for a 'green' gardener? Price is not too big of an issue, I just want a beautiful 'living' garden that can be potted and not grounded.

By Kimsey813 from Greensboro, NC

Can't do better than petunias! They're hardy and forgiving of the learning curve!

Succulents - such as jade plants are VERY easy! Also alonchoe - (but I don't know about N.C. winters...) And orchids are HARD. How about blooming ground cover? Mint? Dusty Miller?

See if you can buy some native plants, they will be better suited to your climate. Our local parks have native plant sales around this time of the year for a fundraiser. Last year I got some flowering grass, looks just like lawn but puts out these beautiful blue flowers.

Sunflowers are very easy to grow, I like the little kind. Zinnias are also easy and annuals like violas, impatiens and petunias grow well in pots. If you get bulbs for dahlias and lilies in the ground now, you can still get some for summer.

I think you will be out of luck with orchids outside, unless your climate is much warmer than I think. I believe that it has to be really tropical weather for them to survive.

Good luck and enjoy!

Marigolds are easy, too.

I have a very small flower veggie garden and I mix large containers with the planted plants to make more space. Planting more than 1 thing in each lge container makes them blend. Roses are a great plus for the carolina's and do very well in different size pots.

April 19, 20090 found this helpful ... m/grow_flowers_in_pots_and_planters, good info there, good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 16, 2009
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Soda Can Plant Labels
Making Soda Can Plant Labels
pink flowering plant in decorative pot with  small gardening tools
Holiday Gifts Ideas for Every Gardener