SeafoodFreezing

Freezing Imitation Crabmeat

Category Seafood

Can imitation crabmeat be refrozen safely? Local grocery stores tend to sell previously frozen crabmeat. I may not always want to use it immediately.

Charlene from Punta Gorda, FL

I don't know for sure, but I've always believed once something is frozen & thawed, no matter what it is, it needs to be used right away.

I buy imitattion crabmeat all the time in WalMart and I always freeze it. I don't know if you know it but WalMart will sell you a 2 1/2 pound bag that is still frozen. You can ask for it at the Seafood counter. I take it home and usually it is too much for my husband and I for one meal so I cut it in half and freeze it in 1 of those plain storage gallon bags.

We still have extra after each meal.

Hope this helps

Vicky

Anonymous

I put shredded cabbbage chopped celery and carrots and crab meat in this dish and baked it for 45 minutes. Can this be frozen?

If something is safe to eat, it is safe to freeze , [assuming it is something that may be frozen in the first oplace] although the quality of an item may suffer.

I buy it & freeze it as soon as I come home. I've done it forever. It thaws at room temp really fast too. But if Im in a hurry I just nuke it. But if you do that take it out of the packaging & put on a plate. That plastic isn't safe to cook in.

It is usually frozen when you buy it.

It comes both ways.

It is just fish flavored with crab juice.

Dorie

I see others have already responded, but I was going to relay that it sure can be frozen. I buy it also @ Wal-Mart in the air tight package. It keeps for a long time refrigerated, but if I don't think I'll be needing it in the next week or so, I will freeze it. Here's a great crab salad recipe I use. Imitation crab meat, chopped in the food processor, choppped green onion, and mayonnaise. That's all & it's so delicious. Tastes better even after it's been refrigerated a few days. We spread it on crackers.

We keep producing Imitation Crabmeat all the year round, If you are interesting , please feel free to contact me. my email is mikeyifeng AT 126.com

I make ceviche w/imitation crab, precooked shrimp, green onions, cilantro, Serrano peppers, avocado, 2C fresh lemon juice. Can this be frozen in small batches?

If I bought it frozen and thawed it and used a small amount for sushi, can i refreeze what is left?

Avacado does not freeze well, perhaps you could freeze the rest and add avacado when you serve?

can I re freeze imitation crab after it has been thawed on the counter

Check this link:

http://stilltas  s/index/1/page:2

This site is US government-related, I think, has loads of answers on food safety.

Like another poster, I always thought that once it's been frozen and thawed, that was it--but that isn't always the case.

If whatever you're using has been kept in the refrigerator , it safe to refreeze. If thawed in cold running water or the microwave, it needs to be cooked right away ( it can be re-frozen after cooking).

If you're in the habit of thawing on the counter, none of it should be cooked or eaten ( never mind re-freeze); that's totally unsafe.

Most people over the age of 65 would take meat out of the freezer in the morning and set it out on the counter to thaw. They never thought to let it thaw in the fridge because that would take a day or two, and take up too much room in the little fridges they had. And there were no microwaves to do a last minute thaw. The closest thing we had was the sink. Fill the sink with water and put the meat in the water to thaw. No one ever died from doing this and they were probably healthier. You need some germs in your body to build up antibodies. And meat you buy in the store has been frozen to transport, set out in the store, bought by the customer, brought home and (RE)frozen. So it really does not damage meat if you thaw it and refreeze. Stop with the antibacterial everything. Get dirty and build up your immune system and you won't be sick so often. They used to say that in your lifetime you would eat 5 lbs of dirt. You would pick tomatoes, cucumbers, apples and strawberries and never wash them, you wiped the dirt off and ate them dirt and all.