Freezing Imitation Crabmeat

Can imitation crabmeat be refrozen safely? Local grocery stores tend to sell previously frozen crabmeat. I may not always want to use it immediately.

Charlene from Punta Gorda, FL

I don't know for sure, but I've always believed once something is frozen & thawed, no matter what it is, it needs to be used right away.

I buy imitattion crabmeat all the time in WalMart and I always freeze it. I don't know if you know it but WalMart will sell you a 2 1/2 pound bag that is still frozen. You can ask for it at the Seafood counter. I take it home and usually it is too much for my husband and I for one meal so I cut it in half and freeze it in 1 of those plain storage gallon bags.

We still have extra after each meal.

Hope this helps

If something is safe to eat, it is safe to freeze , [assuming it is something that may be frozen in the first oplace] although the quality of an item may suffer.

I buy it & freeze it as soon as I come home. I've done it forever. It thaws at room temp really fast too. But if Im in a hurry I just nuke it. But if you do that take it out of the packaging & put on a plate. That plastic isn't safe to cook in.

It is usually frozen when you buy it.

It comes both ways.

It is just fish flavored with crab juice.

I see others have already responded, but I was going to relay that it sure can be frozen. I buy it also @ Wal-Mart in the air tight package. It keeps for a long time refrigerated, but if I don't think I'll be needing it in the next week or so, I will freeze it. Here's a great crab salad recipe I use. Imitation crab meat, chopped in the food processor, choppped green onion, and mayonnaise. That's all & it's so delicious. Tastes better even after it's been refrigerated a few days. We spread it on crackers.

We keep producing Imitation Crabmeat all the year round, If you are interesting , please feel free to contact me. my email is mikeyifeng AT

I make ceviche w/imitation crab, precooked shrimp, green onions, cilantro, Serrano peppers, avocado, 2C fresh lemon juice. Can this be frozen in small batches?

If I bought it frozen and thawed it and used a small amount for sushi, can i refreeze what is left?

Avacado does not freeze well, perhaps you could freeze the rest and add avacado when you serve?

Check this link:

This site is US government-related, I think, has loads of answers on food safety.

Like another poster, I always thought that once it's been frozen and thawed, that was it--but that isn't always the case.

If whatever you're using has been kept in the refrigerator , it safe to refreeze. If thawed in cold running water or the microwave, it needs to be cooked right away ( it can be re-frozen after cooking).

If you're in the habit of thawing on the counter, none of it should be cooked or eaten ( never mind re-freeze); that's totally unsafe.

Food and Recipes Freezing SeafoodAugust 21, 2006
Imitation Crab Cakes
Recipes Using Imitation Crab
Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
Freezing Artichokes
Crabmeat Spread
Crabmeat Spread Recipes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants