Pruning a Burning Bush

What is the proper time to prune a burning bush?

By Earline from Henderson, NC

I have several burning bushes and I prune them whenever I think of it, Any time I have my pruners in my hands maybe pruning something else. They have always done fine. I don't think you could kill them if you tried.

November 8, 2010 Flag

My burning bush has two dead sections on it from the winter being so icy. The rest of it bloomed beautifully. Will the other parts come back to life or do I need to completely cut it down or pull it out?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Kim

Answers:

Pruning a Burning Bush

Burning bushes are very forgiving. We cut ours back dramatically a few times a year and they come back fine. I wouldn't worry about it and definitely don't take it out. Just cut out the dead parts and see what happens. Also, it's tempting to shake off ice during the winter, but don't. It can cause more damage than leaving it on. (11/05/2009)

By Allison5

November 5, 2009 Flag

I have two Burning Bushes in the front of my house. One is glorious and the other only had one branch that bloomed all year. There is a lot of new growth at the base of the bush. Should I cut it back and only leave one branch or should I yank it out?

By Mary from Detroit, MI

Answers:

Pruning a Burning Bush

I have a burning bush and have pruned it greatly. Now it is a healthy bush. The birds absolutely love this little bush. I would prune it back and see what you get. I'm sure you will be surprised. It is worth a try before you pull it. Good luck. (08/09/2009)

By Marsha Jean

August 5, 2009 Flag

I live in MA and have 2 large burning bushes next to my front door. They have gotten much larger than I would like and I would like to prune them down quite a bit. When is a good time and how much can I cut off?

Stefanie from Central MA

Answers:

April 9, 2008 Flag

Can I prune my burning bush in the summer?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Dick from Forest Lake, MN

Answers:

Pruning a Burning Bush

I do ours in the early spring every year. (06/25/2007)

By healthaidefrog1959

Pruning a Burning Bush

I cut mine back whenever it looks shaggy. They are pretty sturdy shrubs. (06/25/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Pruning a Burning Bush

I'm letting mine go natural - I planted it out away from the house, hope it turns into a big flaming tree! I can't stand lollipop shapes inflicted on living things. A little light shaping, fine, but not that ball-shape, not for me. Have fun with your artistry in the garden! (06/25/2007)

By Kim Ch

Pruning a Burning Bush

You prune it in the spring before the new growth comes on (06/25/2007)

By Mythi

Pruning a Burning Bush

I prune it anytime. It fills in again quickly. (06/28/2007)

Burning bush, fall foliage.
Growing a Burning Bush
Home and Garden Gardening Pruning ShrubsNovember 8, 2010
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎉
🎄