Earning Extra Income

What is a good way to earn money without getting an official job?

By McKay from Vancouver, WA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Don't know if it's a good way but it's my way. I go to yard/garage sales and buy music CDs and DVDs really cheap and then resell them on Amazon.

A lot of different factors: the condition of the CD/DVD, whether it is mass produced or local/amateur produced, the condition of the case (I have a bunch of replacements so this doesn't bother me too much). And above all the price. These are all factors to whether or not I buy a CD/DVD.

There is always the chance these items are not resellable (they have no listing on Amazon or the market is flooded and they aren't worth selling).

I figured out what my bottom line was for the gas to get to the post office, the postage, the cost of the enveloped for mailing, etc. And I have a minimum I will sell CD/DVDs for based on these factors. These are all foactors you will have to figure out as well.

If you are good at crafts you could and make crafts and sell them from home or at craft fairs. If you are good at selling, there is Avon. I guess it depends on what you mean by extra money. Why don't you want an actual job? I know lots of really elderly and disabled people that have jobs. Actually if a person is in GOOD health, it is good for them to get out and work at a job, because of your interaction with different types of people. Startin in 1958, I have done several types of work, starting in the old fashioned dime stores(something like the dollar stores now), going to college, teaching school, raising my two daughters, working in a factory, various office jobs, that I could have done even without taking a two year secretarial course. I retired at age 65 and am enjoying my retirement, even though all I have to live off is $700 a month. I don't worry about what I can do for my grandkids, because that is their parents responsibility. If I see something on sale that I know they can use, I get if for them, but it isn't real often.

I would do cooking, house cleaning, wash windows, sewing, ironing, cutting lawns, trimming bushes, etc. Any chores that need to be done around the home.

If you like animals you could do house sitting for pets or do a dog walking service. You can also hit garage sales to buy items to sell at your own yard sale or at a flea market. I have made a living doing the later. I deal in antiques that I find at yard sales and junk shops. People give me their unwanted items to have yard sales with and I also pickup things people put out to the curb before the garbage man gets there. I also put things on consignment in consignment shops.

Put your best foot forward. If you good in baking biscuits,or any other baking, cooking, making jams, preserves or pickles and sell them in Flea markets or Home Industries. Take orders for a family dinner and charge them for the meals plus for delivery.When families go on holiday do home sitting or take care of their pets. There's many ways to make money.

Answer

What are some ways to earn extra money at home? I have a good, but stressful job, so I would rather not do any extra overtime days because I don't want to get burnt out. I have to stay at my job forever since I am paying off a big debt. However, I only get paid every two weeks and I would like extra cash for things like gifts, clothing, happy meals for my grand kids, yard sales, etc. I need the work to be flexible because I want to be able to spend time with my grand kids and family when they need me. So any thoughts? Also how much does one charge for doing laundry and how much per piece of clothing for ironing?

Thank you!

Grandma From Richmond, KY

Extra Income

I'm not sure what area you live in, but I live in the Midwest, where we have lots of rivers and lakes and fishing is quite popular. I work at home for a fly company spooling their fly thread, it's just part-time work. I make about $600.00 a month, but it keeps me busy and I can make my own schedule.

A. from MO (04/02/2005)

By Alica

Extra Income

Forget surveys. There may be some exceptions that actually pay, but you might not find those exceptions amongst all the scams. Also, forget MLM over the net. Forget affiliate sales, unless you have huge traffic.
You can get huge traffic quickly, if you have a postcard site with a unique theme, but first you need to learn HTML and accumulate the pictures for the cards.

Your best bet is to learn HTML from any of the thousands of free HTML tutorial sites, and then start making pages. Begin with free ones for friends, and as you gain experience, do pages for local businesses. If you are not too greedy, each of them will provide a lifetime income. They will always need updates, specials, changes, etc. You can also make steady, long term income by hosting them.

For your own hosting, avoid free hosting, where you are just a number. Look for an "incubator", where you get personal coaching. That is not always more expensive. For example, here at http://webby.com, you can start at $2 a month and expand as you add clients. And the coaching does not stop when you have a certain number of clients.

There is good money on the web, however, you have to take it serious, treat it like the business that it is, and dedicate a certain amount of hours per day to your business. A casual "work when you feel like it" approach won't make you any real, bankable money.

Set yourself some goals, for example to learn HTML by Mother's day, make 5 sites for friends by Father's day, have 5 paying customer sites by Labor Day, and so on.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor

(04/02/2005)

By DearWebby

Earning Extra Income

I too have a stressful workplace, but a great trade and it's too bad that my boss has to be a jerk.
I decided to become a dog trainer and I am still in the learning process, but once I get my business going, I will quit my present job. Once I graduate I will continue working at my present job and earn extra cash doing in-home training until I feel secure enough to quit my present job. Training obedience doesn't require much physical effort if you are concerned about that. Mostly it's teaching the dog owners how to handle their dogs. My study course is half online and half in the "field" and I haven't gotten to that part yet.

If you love dogs, becoming a trainer is a way to make extra cash. There are other options to this as well. You can learn how to train guidance dogs, service dogs like search and rescue or law enforcement.
I realize this isn't for everyone, but dogs are my passion and wouldn't it be wonderful if humans didn't put their dogs in shelters because they (humans) didn't know how to train their dogs? That's the main reason dogs are in shelters and rescues and that's the main reason dogs die.
Something to consider. (02/06/2006)

By Anonymous

Earning Extra Income

You are best off doing something you have a passion for, because that's when you are more likely to last at it. Most of the work-at-home jobs advertised are scams, whereby you send off $12 for information, and the way you make money is by lying to others about sending them information for $12. Pretty much any job you'll find online is sales oriented: books, Amway, toys, jewelry, make-up, etc. and you'll need to do evening parties, but if you have the love for the product, some self-discipline, staying power and some party energy, you can make a fortune.

You could do some after-school care and make $200 per month, but would need to be at home every school day for that. Tutoring is good money, as long as you have some sort of qualification. Do you like to write? There are some writers' websites that will help you learn how to submit articles etc. to paying magazines. It can take a while to get in, but would give you the pocket money you are looking for.
Good luck! (02/06/2006)

By princessgrace

Earning Extra Income

My sister in law works from home doing medical transcription and my ex sister in law has decided to do the same. She is taking a four month class while working full time. My sister in law makes about 12 dollars an hour doing this. (02/07/2006)

By Christi

Earning Extra Income

How about sewing for the public or do mending for a dry cleaners? (02/07/2006)

By Belindac

Earning Extra Income

I think it is great that you want to make more money so what about hosting book talks/requests at your local library? There is this older woman who does it at my library and she get's really into acting out the plots and everyone loves it! Most people pay $10 and sometimes country clubs and book clubs pay her to come and do her thing. (02/07/2006)

By Elle72

Earning Extra Income

I have 2 preschoolers and need a reliable babysitter about 1x week. I would love to have an experienced grandma to sit for us and would gladly pay well for her! High school and college girls just don't understand what little kids are all about. You should think about using your skills like child caring and let people know you are interested in that type of work. (02/07/2006)

By Lauren

Earning Extra Income

Hey, baking is big money too. I do this every once in a while for a few, and birthday cakes can sell for as much as $20, and you will only have less than 3-4 dollars in it. Usually mine are around $5 invested, but if I catch the decorations and cake mixes on sale or clearance then my profit margin is way higher. Use the dollar store toys for the decorations on top, add candies, etc. And usually you will get tips as a bonus. But even cookies are good sellers.
Or dog cookies, I can't make enough of these to keep up with the demand when I do get the time.

I also play with a board site and sell a few things and that gives me my pocket money. Check into that. The cost is free, or minimal. You can buy large "lots" of stuff, and then sell it individually on your site.

Or eBay stuff, I know a lot that do this.

I hope you find something you like to do. And like someone previously said, find something you like so its fun for you. This is why I will bake cakes, or sell fruits and veggies from garden, sew, all kinds of different things to keep it from getting boring.

(02/08/2006)

By kattankerous

Earning Extra Income

I just read a great book called "Shattering the 2-Income Myth". It teaches ways for a stay-at-home spouse to "work the home". There are a lot of things you can do from home, working or not, to make up for the lost income. It's really interesting and has hundreds of great tips. Pick it up from the library. (02/13/2006)

By jhansen

Earning Extra Income

Is there a flea market in your area where you could set up? Are there weekly auctions or estate sales? When I was separated this kept me going. A small investment in box lots that I resold at the flea market was what I sold. It was a hobby at first, but I loved it. It helps if you have a van or a pick-up truck, or car with a big trunk. I met lots of nice people plus I met my present hubby. I still love auctions. (03/19/2006)

By NellieMary

Earning Extra Income

I make my time home pay by trolling free websites for freebies. The $ you save there you could put towards the gifts, etc. and even get some gifts through those sites, like free CDs, posters, and so on. You can also make what you have stretch as far as it can by having your own yard sales, bartering, and general penny pinching, even recycling cans/bottles (for yourself and others?). Although I do make occasional $ from writing for the web. Is there a publication around you could do book reviews for, then you could get books, if you are a reader anyway. (06/13/2007)

By pamphyila

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Budget & Finance Making MoneyJune 14, 2010
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
Computer Mouse and Survey
Earning Income for Online Surveys
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 1:13:39 AM on 10.0.1.167 in 527 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.