Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

My 6 week old puppy has fleas. Can I give him a bath at this age?

By Karen from Nova Scotia, Canada

Answers

For safe removal of fleas for a puppy that young, you can buy a flea zapper comb that kills fleas the minute the comb comes in contact. I've used it on my own dogs and it really works. You can buy them at any pet store or on the internet. The dog doesn't feel the tiny charge on the flea either. It works best with short haired dogs.

November 21, 2010 Flag

Is it safe to use vinegar for fleas on a 6 week old puppy?

Tammy from Belews Creek, NC

Answers:

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

Please "do not" use vinegar, it can harm his/her skin. Please call your veterinarian and ask for some Advantage. This will take care of your flea problem. It is time for your new fur baby to have a check up anyway. This is a good way to start and have a healthy pet.

Good luck and kisses to your fur baby. (07/11/2008)

By Sherri

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

I would think that vinegar would be safer for a puppy that young than anything else. I would put it in a spray bottle and lightly spray it on the puppy, but not in his/her face. You could also try using powder of some type which will suffocate the fleas, but be careful around the puppy's face. Also, don't use both at the same time unless you want a pasty pup. At that age, it is not a good idea to use flea collars or the Hartz flea stuff you put on their back. Good luck. (07/11/2008)

By lunarmom

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

To be safe, you really should to call a vet. (07/11/2008)

By Maryeileen

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

Regular blue Dawn hand dishwashing liquid has been reported to work. It kills fleas on contact and makes them drop off the animal in the bath. The Dawn is gentle to the animal's skin. We have not personally tried this, but read it here on ThriftyFun. (07/11/2008)

By kidsNclutter

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

There is a need for vets, but vets like doctors don't know/have all the answers. Go to dirtdoc.com. He has natural solutions for a lot of things. Also talk to people in health food stores, feed stores, and do your research. I take my year old dog to the vet for regular checkups, but I don't always take his word as the gospel truth. I have also learned that they, like MD's push what the pharmaceutical reps promote. (07/11/2008)

By Betty

treating fleas on 6 week old puppy

Not sure how much treatments for puppies differ from that of kittens, but recently we (the family) were given a kitten totally infested with fleas, I decided to try the "Dawn" (because that's what was at the kitchen counter) treatment. I have to say it did work to a point, it did get rid of quite a few, however, it did not rid the kitten of all the fleas. Perhaps if you did the treatment a day or two apart you would have greater success. Good luck (07/11/2008)

By Tami

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

I'm not sure about the Dawn soap, but even if you kill the fleas on your puppy you still have to worry about them in the environment. You want to get a flea product from the vet that sterilizes or kills the adult fleas and prevents the eggs from hatching. Otherwise if you just kill the adults the eggs still hatch and you have to kill them too (ie., they can reinfest your pet). "Do not give your pet garlic!" (07/13/2008)

By vet student

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

My daughter's dog takes a one a month pill for fleas and heartworm. Called "Sentinel Flavortabs". They are available by prescription only. He's 20 months old, not a newborn. Your best bet is to ask the vet. It is the cheapest in the long run because you don't risk harming the kitten nor infesting the house!
They're liver flavored. I guess he doesn't like liver. She has to wrap it in a piece of cheese and make sure he actually gulps it. For a dog, he's a very picky eater. (07/14/2008)

By cookwie

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

With the price of gas these days you may not be able to afford vet treatments and I actually don't like chemicals. I would cover it's coat with baby oil and wrap in a towel and keep warm for 15-20 mins. That will smother them and none will escape. Then wash with a mild shampoo. I haven't had fleas for years. I burn my vacuum cleaner bags and add a half teaspoon of gum spirits of turpentine to my mop water. It will kill the larvae. I also keep my dogs away from other dogs and places they could pick up fleas. If that does not work DE is safe for pups and you or if you feel you need to use chemicals, then cat flea powder. I would think vinegar fumes would burn the eyes and respiratory system because I have had to use it to kill mildew on jobs. Hope this helps. T (07/20/2008)

By Tumpy

Treating Fleas On 6 Week Old Puppy

Onions and Garlic:
Onions and garlic contain a substance called thiosulphate. Dogs can develop haemolytic anemia which causes destruction of the red blood cells.

(07/28/2009)

By Juggalette3785

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 21, 2010
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Woman Weighing Herself
Losing 5 Pounds in a Week
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
5 Week Old Chihuahua Puppy
Training a 5 Week Old Puppy
🎉
🎄