Cleaning Hard Water Spots on Windows

I have four 10'X6' windows (all glass) and about 15 smaller windows of different sizes that get sprayed by water containing calcium, and various other minerals that will not wash off with soap or other washer solutions. I presently use dish soap and hot water and a bit of CLR added. I have used an ammonia solution, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. Nothing really phases the stains even though the windows get clean, they still show those hard water stains.

We use ditch water to irrigate the lawn by a sprinkler system. Help! I also used automotive products and the products that you are supposed to put on and hose off. They definitely made no difference other than to clean.

By Lula C. from Cimarron, CO

I would try on one of the windows the CLR in a more concentrated form, not diluted down as much. Hopefully your window isn't etched by the chemicals at which time most nothing will help. Good luck. Linda

I used to make my own window cleaner from a "recipe" I got in a magazine years ago. It contained equal parts;

A)Water

B)Parafin Oil (Kerosene)and

C)Methylted Spirits (Denatured Alchol).

It worked great at cleaning off "normal" dirt and grime and left a wonderful shine but I don't know if it would work for you.

Hope you find a solution.

I had a fountain near our front door glass side panel. The water stains were terrible. Tried several products. Clear Vinegar did the trick when all was said and done. Try it with a green scratchy pad..

I, too, think that either full strength vinegar or full strength CLR will work. If these are just hard water deposits, an acid will remove them. Do not dilute it.

I am not sure using CLR would be good for the environment, but as long as you keep it off the ground and wear gloves so you are protected... I can also suggest a razor blade to remove any remaining film/crust from hard water stains.

I had acid rain spots that were etched in the glass. I tried everything to get them off,I even took my car to a body shop where they tried buffing them and tried the strongest cleaner they had and they were still there.They were so bad that when driving at night and meeting a car, I could barely see. Now for the good news,go to Bilo and get barkeeper's friend. It's on the cleaning products row and cost $1.99 Make a paste,rub on the window,takes some effort but I promise you it will work.Rinse and you will be amazed.My windows are clear now and look like new.

I just got done cleaning 2 small windows. Like many of you they had years of calcium water spots on them. You could barely see through them. I used the Barkeeper's friend and it worked. I made it into a paste on a small scrubber that you would use for pots and pans (non abrasive). I finished it off with WD 40 and now the windows are shiny and look like new. It was a fluke that I tried it but I had tried everything else that was on the internet...I was at my wits end. I tried all of the other suggestions and this one worked!

Hard Water Spots on Windows
Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsJuly 4, 2011
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
🎄