Show Up REALLY Early at Garage Sales

This is a tip for all those garage sale fiends out there. Everyone knows that the first person at the garage sale gets the best pick of items. Instead of trying to get up early to be the first at garage sales, I have started looking through Craigslist and the local paper for advertised sales. I then show up the night before the sale.

To avoid being bothersome or rude, I show up rather late (9PM to 10PM) so I know the family is done with dinner and kids have been put to bed. Be polite, tell them you are a seasoned garage sale enthusiast and ask them if you might be able to preview their wares. If they say "yes", you are in! If they say "no", politely leave and show up the next morning. If they produce a firearm, run and show up in a disguise the next morning. Happy bargain hunting!

April from Foolsville, IN

Editor's Note:This is a terrible idea! Happy April Fool's Day!

I think this is the worst tip I have ever seen! I can't believe it made it on to the site, was this even read before being posted!

: ) haha, I was totally fooled.

Yeah, I was reading this and thinking bad things about the rude submitter. We don't do garage sales - instead we just donate to our chosen charities. I was flabbergasted imagining how outraged I'd be at someone having the nerve to show up the night before a garage sale. Whew! Glad it was a joke. I need to go have a cup of tea now! :-)

Ha Ha! April Fools! Good one, Lewis. I mean, April :)

I know this was a joke (I finally figured it out!) but I also know for a fact there are people who actually do this! My friend (I use the term loosely!) used to do this all the time and then wanted me to go the next morning with her to the same sales. Not my idea of a fun day!

I am hoping the folks in my area know this is a joke! Funny!

Don't forget to take a sleeping bag just in case. It comes in handy if you want to camp outside of their garage door!

I actually called a neighbor the day before we did our garage sale because she has a daughter that would fit into most of the clothes we were selling. She came over the night before and bought $200 worth, so if done right, it is a good idea.

This also works really well if you're looking for a mattress on CL. Most sellers will be gracious and let you take a trial one-night-sleep right there under their roof before you buy, especially if you show up after 11 pm in your jammies and pink fuzzy slippers.

NOT.

Cute, cute prank !

8)

HAHAHHAHA. You had me going until almost the end...April fool's indeed.

Haa you really had me there. I was all full of indignation ready 2 blast the poster than realized it was a joke. Gotta go change my Tshirt now that I've split water all over it from laughing so hard.

Thanks

Oh come on folks you know that you all thought it was a super idea. LOL

I know that was a joke but I just wanted to let you know that sometimes the better bargains are after the sales or the last day of the sale because sometimes things are marked down very low. Sometimes the sellers give away what is left because they don't want to throw it out. This is a good way to get free magazines and books. They may be old to them but they would be new to you.

That was nuts!

Garage Sales Buying TipsApril 1, 2010
A table full of items for sale at a garage sale.
Finding Garage Sales
Garage Sales
Shopping at Garage Sales
A woman taking a photo of a vase to post it on eBay.
eBay vs. Garage Sales
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
🎄