Massachusetts Christmas Charities

How can I find help for my kinds for Christmas? I have three children of my own and am a single mother. I have two girls and 1 boy and it's kind of difficult for me to buy my kids what they want for Christmas. I have a job, yes, but am low income. I don't even have a Christmas tree for my family. Any ideas are appreciated.

By fiordaliza from Lawrence, MA

They have all probably used up their resources by now. Try the Salvation Army, however, where I live their requests for help are up 20% from last year and they are $300,000 below for donations. A lot of the charities also have income guidelines, and just because you are low income doesn't mean you will meet the income requirements. Call 211, this is the phone number for a nationwide organization called HELPLINE, they keep a listing of a lot of the charities in a given location. Kids don't need a lot of presents and they also don't need expensive, fad type gifts. If you are low enough income to qualify for food stamps, your social worker might have some ideas where you can get help. You should be able to get each of your kids one or two gifts at a dollar store. Also don't the kids have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be giving them gifts. One year after I grew up my Mother saw an idea in a magazine that she thought was cute and she went out in the yard and found a tree branch that had broken off a tree and she spray painted it white and stuck it in an empty coffee can filled with sand, then put some lights and tree ornaments on it. We all thought it was really cool, and kind of funky. Sometimes people have to use their imagination.

One year when I was a kid we didn't have money for a Christmas tree. So my Mom got one of those inexpensive artificial table-top trees and we made ornaments for it out of construction paper and glitter and things. It was lots of fun, and I was really proud of those ornaments! Spending time with your family and making memories is what's really important, not some toys that they'll be bored with in a month anyway. Good luck to you. xx

Making memories IS WHAT'S most important you're absolutely right!

Hello, Have you found help? Do you have a tree? I'd like to help.

Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Massachusetts Christmas Charities
Michigan Christmas Charities
Oregon Christmas Charities
New Jersey Christmas Charities
Washington Christmas Charities