Preventing Parvo

My boyfriend and I have a Husky puppy who is the sweetest guy alive! we also have a 10 month Border Collie. The Husky is 13 weeks. On Saturday, the Husky wasn't eating and seemed calmer than usual. He wasn't drinking anything so we force fed him water and then he ate quite a bit. Come Sunday, he was tired but great. We went hiking and swimming and he was tired but no more than normal. Sunday night, he wouldn't eat again, but he was drinking fine. All the while, playing and chasing with his best friend, our Border Collie.

Monday morning, he was sick again and we took him in to a vet, where he tested positive for Parvo. Now, it's costing us 1000 bucks for 4 days in the vet, and we have drenched our house with bleach and Lucy, our Border Collie, is stuck at a friend's house on careful watch for the parvo virus. Is there anyway to prevent her from getting sick, and an easier way to clean our house. What are the realistic chances of my puppy dying?

By Claire from Atlanta, GA

If your Collie has not had her parvo shot take her to the vet right away!! I had the same thing happen and our vet gave the well pup her parvo shot and she was ok. The one that had parvo spent 6 days in intensive care but she made it threw. When she went home she was on a special diet of canned food that was only avaliable from the vet. This was for a week and then she slowly went back to her regular food. Today 7 years later she is healthy and happy. I cannot stress getting your dogs parvo shots when they should! Hope your pup survives like mine did.

I was sorry to read about your puppy.

Approximately 30% of parvo puppies receiving vet treatment still die.

A puppy should start its vaccination schedule at six weeks (both rabies and the multi-shot that covers parvo, distemper, etc.). If its mother was vaccinated against parvo, it will have maternal immunity until about this time (six weeks of age). The pup then requires a booster for the multi-shot one month later.

Be sure you scour the yard and anywhere pup has gone to the bathroom thoroughly. I was happy to read you've doused your house with bleach. The virus can live in the soil for over a year. You don't want to bring any other pup into the home that isn't fully vaccinated (both vaccinated and boosted a month later).

I hope your collie is up-to-date on its shots. If not, whip it into your vet and get it done!

Please post signs at your off-leash park and areas where you've walked your pup indicating that the virus could be present in the area and contaminate others. Hopefully any others that are not vaccinated will also be taken to the vet for shots.

Good luck,

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 8, 2007
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo