Starting a Home-Based Baking Business

I love baking cakes and pies. Does any one have any suggestions on starting a home business? I don't have a lot of money.

Thanks,
Sandy from Bluff City, TN

My advice is to check with your state, county, and city licensing people and make completely sure you are legal in every way, shape and form! I was trying to get a store opened here locally, had the store (paid rent for about 10 months and never got opened) and most of my equipment, but not all of my licensing. While trying to get everything in order to open the store, I was baking from my home to fill the orders I had coming in. Apparently, I took business away from somebody and they turned me in to the state. I was threatened with all kinds of legal actions if I didn't quit!

I am still in the process of trying to get enough money saved up to start a store, still only have a few things left to buy in the way of equipment and then I am going to go through all the legal channels.

Other than that, my other advice would be to have a really good recipe and a GUARANTEED hot selling item! What I mean is like Cupcakes, cookies, etc. Something that is guaranteed to bring the people in. Check out your local competition and do some comparisons to your products. When I was going through the process, I went to all the local grocery stores and bakeries to make sure that my prices were competitive with theirs. But above all, remember that your QUALITY will be what will keep your customers returning for more! Keep your quality up and above standards...you will be a huge success!

God Bless!

Sheila in Titusville, FL

i am working on this project right now.

You must realize, there are no more ''mom & pop'' businesses. Create a small take-out bake shop. You will have to write a business plan. EVERY BUSINESS whether home based or commercial requires license. This is for the protection of the public & YOU.

The best thing to do NOW is to invest in yourself by taking basic health & food handling classes. Usually the county health departments are the information sites for you. They are better able to tell you the next steps. Get a few people to buy into you. I am sure ther are those that may for a small percentage of the profits.

GO FOR IT!

I don't know where you live but in my state, you must have a state inspected kitchen, which means commercial equipment and you have to follow all their rules. I own a restaurant and cannot even bake at home for that. It my be prepared onsite. It sounds like a good idea, but you have to jump thru a lot of hoops to do it legally.

Sandy,

You're in luck. I've written a book titled "Bringing Home the Baking". It's a step-by-step guide on how to start a home-based baking business.

I have more than 15 years of experience in baking and operating a home based business. I've gone through the process of setting up my work space (micro bakery) by Health Dept. standards. This information plus, purchasing affordable equipment (commercial and non-commercial), choosing a product specialty, setting pricies, marketing your product(s), baking tips, great recipes, where to find the equipment, tools and suppplies needed to startup and operate your business can all be found in my book. It was written for the part-time and full-time business owner.

For more information on my company and "Bringing Home the Baking", see my website at: www.UniqueOccasions.biz.

Would love to hear any comments or suggestions you might have. My e-mail is: OccasionsUnique @ aol.com (remove spaces)

I have browsed the Internet for the information that is out there about starting a home-based bakery. Let's set the record straight. I teach a course in North Carolina for home-based bakers called how to operate a home-based bakery. I have been teaching for three years.

There are 17 states that allow home based baking and have what is called a "cottage law." This is perhaps the most difficult information to get a hold of. Some states regulate home-based baking via the health department, others through the state department of agriculture. You would not have thought to look there would you?

You will be able to get a copy of the rules and regulations and most states have someone come out and inspect your kitchen, at least initially.

The baked goods that sell the best are ones that are delicious and dynamic, it could be biscotti or cupcakes, Red Velvet cake or pound cake, demographics and your customer base will determine that! If you want to learn more you can pick the eBook "How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery" by Denay or take one of her classes, they're online!

Woman in Home-Based Baking Business
Starting a Home-Based Baking Business
Business and Legal BusinessMarch 30, 2007
Woman in red checked apron holding homemade lattice crust pie
Selling Homemade Pies
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎉
🎄