CrochetCrafts

Can I Use Acrylic Yarn to Make Potholders?

Can acrylic yarn be used when crocheting hot pads and potholders or does cotton yarn have to be used? Will acrylic melt when a hot pan is on it? Thanks ahead of time.

By Keeper from NC

I have heard that acrylic will melt. I googled and found these discussions among many:

http://www.croc  read.php?t=69851

http://www.knit  php/t-62406.html

If you are making something for others I would definitely use cotton or wool.

Kaelle, thanks for your reply and also for a new site for crocheting.

The main danger of acrylic or polyester yarn in cooking is that it's basically plastic. If it catches on fire, it melts and drips stickily on you and can cause some really serious burns. Cotton burns, but it doesn't stick to you. Rayon yarn is also a good choice, and washable wool yarns are also OK. if you're not sure of the composition of a yarn, burn a two-inch-long scrap in a fireproof dish and see whether it melts like plastic, leaves a sticky residue, burns completely to ash, smells like hair, etc.

Use wool if you can, make it a tiny bit bigger than you need, and toss into washing machine followed by stop in dryer, checking every 5-10 minutes. It will be nice and thick. Or go to goodwill and get an old all wool sweater, toss in washer on hot-cold cycle, and dry, checking intermittently. When it's felted as you like, cut out your hot pad. If you don't like the pattern, just cover with cotton cloth, as in making a little pillowcase and close up ends. Tie in few places or over stitch.

Acrylic melts.

I think a lot of people confuse acrylic yarn with acrylic glass or other things. Acrylic is what I use for pot holders, as well as cotton.