Plastic Outdoor Chairs Feel Gritty

My patio chairs are only 2 yrs old, but they look like they are 100! They are light beige in color, and plastic. Below is a picture. My problem is, after only 2 yrs, the plastic is all gritty feeling and has a powdery stuff that comes off on my clothes.

I have loungers that I thought were made of the same material that are 4 yrs old, and they are still smooth and shiny like new. But this happens with every chair type seat I get for the deck. Can anyone tell my why, and what I can do about it?

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

No offense intended, but they were probably low quality to begin with. This happens on cheaper auto interiors, mostly on the inside door arm rests, and center consoles. I have had an old Olds do that. I don't know of anything that will change it---I tried the interior plastic protectors, but it didnt make any difference. It seems to mostly be caused by sun exposure.

Fatboysmom, these are not low quality chairs. I don't know what the problem was with the things you mentioned, but I was able to find a solution to mine.

And it came in a simple can of inexpensive furniture polish, along with some elbow grease to clean it good beforehand.

If you had these things happen in your car, maybe you should have considered treating it with Armor-All once in a while.

Do the chairs sit out more than the loungers? Perhaps it is weathering. Perhaps spray painting them with that new spray paint for plastics(I believe it is by Rust-o-leaum) It has the word Fusion in its name I believe. We refurbed an elderly friend's plastic chairs with it and it looked really good. We washed off and dried the chairs to remove that white powder you noticed first, yes, in spite of the fact the chairs were dark green, they too had a white haze.

Hi Everyone, First off I want to thank you for your hints. I found a solution to my problem though, and it only cost me a few cents!

First, I used a combination of Greased Lightning, a Brill-O pad and lots of elbow grease. I scrubbed the chairs down good. Got them really clean. Then I let them dry in the sun till they were completely dry.

Then, and here's the secret! I sprayed them down with a good layer of spray furniture polish! Just the cheap stuff I got at the dollar store, and absolutely no wiping. I just let it soak into the plastic. I gave them 3 good coats, letting them dry in the sun for about 2 hours between each coat. Now my chairs look nice again, and feel like satin! Plus the furniture polish is helping to repel dirt and moisture too!

They also have out paint for plastic. It comes in a spray can and in lots of colors and you can just spray paint them what ever color you want.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture OutdoorMay 22, 2009
Dining Chair
Repairing Dining Chair Seats
Bean Bag Chair
Making a Bean Bag Chair
Dining room chair with a vinyl seat.
Recovering Vinyl Chairs
Dining Chairs
Reupholstering Dining Chairs
🎄