Getting Rid of Subterranean (Ground) Termites

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of ground termites without using chemicals or pesticides? We have 2 mounds that we need to get rid of before they start infecting my house. We live in a wooded area and do not want to hurt the local wildlife or my pets for that matter. Any proven suggestions would help? Thanks.

By acassel from Pipersville, PA

I think that is what we had coming into our garage. We finally poured bleach along the outside edge by the garage door. It took to applications but we haven't seen one since.

You could try boiling water poured over the mounds. Here in Texas we use this to kill fire ant mounds. quite effective.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is the finely ground fossils of prehistoric fresh water diatoms. Kills household and garden pests like cockroaches, ants, slugs, fleas, beetles and many other crawling insects. Works great indoors or out. Insects die within 48 hours of contact. It is very inexpensive and can be used inside or outside to control insects. Will not harm humans or pets. Diatomaceous Earth controls insects by using physical, not chemical, action: It punctures an insects exoskeleton and absorbs its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. Moreover, on any surface, this natural pesticide has a remarkable repellency factor. As long as Diatomaceous Earth is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. The more it is used, the more an environment is created which makes insects feel unwelcome.

Be sure to buy the Food Grade DE.

I would highly suggest gettting some chickens and/or ducks. I have a regular size residential back yard that includes approx 20' x 40' vegetable garden. I'm a first time 'chickener' and have 4 small banty chickens and you can hardly find a bug in my garden or yard! They LOVE earwigs, ants etc. Plus, they are so easy to care for. They are very entertaining and everyone that's seen them wants some! They've become my pets. I'd suggest putting a pen and temporary shelter right around your termite mounds and let the birds have a gourmet meal!

Home and Garden Pest Control TermitesJuly 16, 2009
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of termites in wood.
Homemade Remedies for Termites
Photo of termites and termite damage.
Getting Rid of Termites
🎄