Use PVC Caps To Cover Toilet Bolts

I had to replace my bathroom commode. Due to floor conditions from prior use, the installer used copper or brass bolts to install the commode. These were taller/longer than the ones that came with new commode. Covers for bolts could not be covered with original covers that came in the box with new commode. I went to big box store and bought some "replacement covers" and they were too short. I could not figure what I could use to cover the unsightly bolts standing up. I kept looking and thinking WHAT COULD I USE?

I walked down the aisles in bog box store and saw PVC caps in white (color I needed). I had measured the height and size for bottom needed, so I measured the caps diameter and depth inside the caps. I bought two and put them over the bolts and TADA, it fit and looks just like it was made for it. So I got Elmer's glue and glued in place. It now looks "finished" and complete.

Source: I did this myself. Never could find anything, anywhere to solve my problem. I looked everywhere.

By oredwine1933 from Neta

The bolts are made long to fit a range of toilets. The plumber or who ever installed the toilet should have cut the bolts with a hack saw to lenght. The caps should never be glued on because some day the toilet may have to be taken up for any number of reasons.

Hey, that's a good idea! Some of us with arthritis have trouble getting down on the floor and into an angle where we could saw the bolts, so that's a good fast solution. Shouldn't be all that hard to get the covers off if ever needed, I wouldn't worry about the glue. Regular white Elmer's glue is just temporary on glazed porcelain anyway, would come off by soaking with a wet cloth around it, or even tapping it firmly to pop them back off if you ever need to. I've had the same thing happen, after some installer in a hurry left bolts that way. Thanks for mentioning this, it's a clever idea!

My thought was that using Elmer's glue to put into place would hold it, but not be difficult to remove. Elmer's is not permanent. I agonized about how I could cover them and not be "stuck" later trying to get it off. The neatest part is the PVC caps cost less than 50 cents each. So inexpensive. I hate looking at them unfinished.

What a great idea. My son replaced my toilet last year and I have the same problem with the bolts being too long for the caps. I'm not sure what PVC caps are though. Where do I find them...Home Depot?

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJune 20, 2008
Cutting PVC pipe
Cutting PVC Pipe
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎉
🎄