Travel Tips for Altenkirchen, Germany

We will be traveling to Altenkirchen, Germany in November for our son's wedding. Any frugal tips?

Faye from Wynne, Arkansas

If you intend to travel while you have the chance-- check out AAA and a Eurail pass-- I'm over 65 so my ticket was cheaper-- You buy them by generally what you want to do-and you have to get them here in the States-- Friend Alice had a list as long as I am tall-- she whittled and whittled-- we bought a "two country Eurail pass"-- I think it probably was three country-( Benelux and Germany) but we only wanted Belgium and Germany. We had 2 weeks-- bought the pass for 8 "units" and loved it-- Used a unit for the Rhine trip done by the rail company DB-- I'm saying units because I'm still not positive how they are truly used-- but in general, you can get on a train on day 1-- get off when ever and where ever you want to go and get back on for the same ticket-- at midnight, the "unit" changes IF YOU get back ON THE TRAIN AGAIN. Don't be surprised if that doesn't make sense. We used 7 "units" and went to Munich, Garmish-Partenkichen, Koln twice (Did you know they have a chocolate museum?)-- on the Rhine cruise to St. Goar, Frankfurt, Mainz, Brugge, Belgium where there are gun emplacments from WW II-- the town we could have stayed in a week-- canals like Venice-- lace industry-- the old town was not bombed in WW I or WW II-- we rode the Strassenbahn to Ostend to see the ferries from England and the English channel-- tried all sorts of local foods on the trip-- tried all sorts of beer on the trip-- yep, we had a blast. The Deutches Bahn (DB) also has a travelers koisk (sp) at every major train station with suggestions for hotels-- we generally stayed in a hotel next to the train station-- was handy...and the cost was around $100 for the two-- with HUGE European breakfast thrown in-- we ate that-- coffee and a snack in the afternoon-- then dinner where ever. If you are a pretzel fan-- Alice loved them. Take one bag-- small with wheels (27 inch)-- pack what you think you'll need-- carry it around the house for an hour, and then delete--you are allowed one purse and one fairly small hand baggage on the plane-- You already know about the restrictions on planes-- remember, Germany has drug stores, too-- so just don't take that stuff unless-- well, you're allergic or something. Take bath soap, washcloth and a medium towel-- the hotels we stayed in provided linens-- but not all hotels do---

Since you'll be probably in a small town for Altenkirchen ( old church) you may be able to visit some of the natives-- they are very hospitable and want to please you-- be prepared to eat and drink--and remember-- nearly EVERY German speaks and understands English.....

OH take a medium wrap-- like a lined windbreaker-- weather is iffy in September.

I wish your Son and his wife to be every happiness-- and that you have a wonderful time. Remember-- it isn't about Your Way or Bad Way-- it's about ONE way and a DIFFERENT way.

Auf Weiderseine

Munich Town Square
Germany Frugal Travel Guide
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
Crumb Cake
Crumb Cake Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 20, 2016 at 6:06:45 AM on in 911 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.