Housebreaking an Older Dog

We are considering purchasing an 18-month old male Cocker Spaniel. He has been used as a show dog, so he has not been housebroken. The breeder said to just train him the same as a puppy, but I am concerned about buying him if he is not housebroken at his age. He seems to demand a lot of attention, too. We are trying him out for the weekend and need to make a decision. Is it just better to buy a puppy and train it from a young age?

By Linda S.

I got a one-year-old Weimer from a shelter; she was not treated very well at her previous home and was really quite skittish and not house-broken. With just a week or two (and not constant!), we were able to train her with lots of love and attention. She followed us around quite a bit at first, but then got used to being by herself in a room while we were in another room. It's really up to you if you feel the connection" with your potential little guy - things will work out if you have the time to devote to working with him. Good luck!

My Jack was about a year when I got him and he was not housebroken. Within a month he was completely trained and since then, never an accident.

An older dog's bladder is bigger and they should be able to have control longer than a young puppy. This should make it a bit easier to housebreak an older dog. I think they get the point to where to go if it is on a pad or outside quicker.

In any event don't let age detour you from getting a dog that is a right fit. Just a little patience and love will do the trick.

Breeders don't sell show Dogs if they are winning so be careful not to pay extravagant price just because the animal has a Pedigree that is not worth the paper it's written on unless you intend to show him. They can be house-trained but be aware Spaniels are an excitable breed. Good luck.

August 9, 2011 Flag

How do I housebreak an older Min Pin?

By Cristina from Napa, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello Cristina,

I am over in Petaluma. Please take your new fur-baby to the veterinarian for an exam. Ask your Vet about anything. Please write down all your questions before your appointment. so you don't forget anything. House training an older dog can be a challenge but it can be done with a lot of patience and love. Good luck

Housebreaking Older Dogs
Pets Dogs House TrainingJuly 31, 2011
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Active Older Man
Entertainment and Activities for Older Adults
An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog