Removing Ink from a Table

I am looking for information for removing permanent ink mark from wood/finish coffee table.

By Marlene from Kauai, HI

Try using a cheap hairspray, like Aquanet, works for getting ink out of clothes, might work on wood.

Baking soda! While I was on the phone with my sister reading to her the different responses, she was trying the baking soda and she interrupted me with, "Oh, M, this is amazing the ink came right up!"

Wow it worked! I was upset that my kids got marker on my wood (finished) dining room table and I tried the baking soda that was recommended. I made a paste and rubbed it on the areas and wiped with a paper towel and it came right up. Thank you for the suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestion everyone! The baking soda worked!! An ink pen exploded on our brand new wood table, it set overnight (the pen must've exploded in the middle of the night) and the baking soda paste took it right out! We just used our fingertip and rubbed with the grain of the wood, it got lighter and lighter and eventually came out!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I couldn't see the feedback which stated how to use the baking soda. But I read through some of the rest of the feedback and tried using deodorant. Which was to take pink permanent pen off of bedroom furniture including wood and metal. This worked a treat! Phew!

I discovered that a red ink pen had exploded in one of my wire pen holders. It was sitting on my light oak desk and the ink had been there for so long that it had dried. I tried to get it up with alcohol and some of it did come off but it was all soaked down into the varnish and just as red after the alcohol as before. I kept wiping till the rag came back clean but the ink was firmly set. I then tried hydrogen peroxide-nothing. I tried dishwashing soap suds. I tried practically everything I could get my hands on except gasoline. Nothing!

I even put mayonnaise on it and let it soak for 10 days-nothing! By this time I am eying the gallon of mower gas. I saw this site and said " What the heck, I'll try their ideas. I really have nothing to lose." So I went into the kitchen got down the baking soda, made the paste with water and began scrubbing. Right away the baking soda turned pink! I added more and scrubbed more and the ink was, in fact, coming up. I couldn't believe it! So with much elbow (or finger actually) grease the red ink is gone. Now I just have what looks like a water ring on the wood. But like I said this ink had been on there since the dinosaurs. The water ring is much preferable.

I am going to let it dry overnight and see what happens. If it is not gone by morning. I think the actual wood got wet from the thinning of the varnish and that this is now indeed a water mark-then I will treat it as a water mark and see if the ring goes away. Stay tuned for further developments. I did not try the miracle clean sponge. I did try the toothpaste before with no results.

Baking soda is amazing it totally works. I used it because someone spilled a drink on the table and then put a newspaper on it and it bled in to the table the ink. So I tried the alcohol and the the baking powder. Thank you.

My daughter and her friend stained my table with craft paints. I tried several things to remove. Baking soda did not work for me. However I tried an air freshener. Sprayed over the stain and rubbed and this actually removed the stain totally. Thanks all for your tips!

OMG! Hairspray, it works perfectly. I tried everything on this list and nothing worked except hairspray. It literally makes it disappear. Thanks guys, now my parents won't kill me!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 30, 2010
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄