Browsing: Treating Insect Bites and Stings

Vinegar For Insect Bites

We always have bad mosquitoes in Houston; even in the winter. I've tried literally every recipe on this site, with no luck. They bite me even when I'm wearing Off (without Deet). My husband told me a way to make the bites easier to bear - I didn't believe him at first! He said to put white vinegar on the bites. I didn't have white, so I used apple cider vinegar.

I was almost out, so all I had was the "mother" of this vinegar. That's the cloudy mass at the bottom of the bottle of apple cider vinegar. I got this bottle at Whole Foods Market, a very pricey health food store. I noticed that the one I buy at my grocery store has no "mother". I used the mother and applied it with a q-tip and, sure enough, the welts started to go away and so did the itching. The next day all I had was three small marks where the welts were. They also stopped itching completely.

I have used it on my 2 year old Grand-baby who is a redhead and very fair and it worked on her too. Maybe this will help someone out there too - I hope so!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

My husband and 4 year old get huge quarter size welts from mosquito bites, I have found that using oregano oil (found at the health food store) if applied right away will remove the itch for the duration of the bite. He swears by it.

Thanks, going to try this, one bite usually means huge lump and three weeks of itching!

Marg from England.

Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 21, 2010
vinegar and baking soda
Uses for Vinegar
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:36:49 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 613 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.