Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Vinegar For Insect Bites

We always have bad mosquitoes in Houston; even in the winter. I've tried literally every recipe on this site, with no luck. They bite me even when I'm wearing Off (without Deet). My husband told me a way to make the bites easier to bear - I didn't believe him at first! He said to put white vinegar on the bites. I didn't have white, so I used apple cider vinegar.

I was almost out, so all I had was the "mother" of this vinegar. That's the cloudy mass at the bottom of the bottle of apple cider vinegar. I got this bottle at Whole Foods Market, a very pricey health food store. I noticed that the one I buy at my grocery store has no "mother". I used the mother and applied it with a q-tip and, sure enough, the welts started to go away and so did the itching. The next day all I had was three small marks where the welts were. They also stopped itching completely.

I have used it on my 2 year old Grand-baby who is a redhead and very fair and it worked on her too. Maybe this will help someone out there too - I hope so!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Marg [16]07/25/2010

Thanks, going to try this, one bite usually means huge lump and three weeks of itching!
Marg from England.

By Laura [2]07/24/2010

My husband and 4 year old get huge quarter size welts from mosquito bites, I have found that using oregano oil (found at the health food store) if applied right away will remove the itch for the duration of the bite. He swears by it.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.