Use Spinach Instead of Lettuce In Sandwiches

My 7 year old son is cautious about new vegetables, especially raw veggies. He likes the idea of having lettuce and tomato on sandwiches, thanks to Subway and Burger King.

This week when packing his school lunch, I replaced the lettuce with baby spinach leaves. This boosts the nutritional content and he didn't even notice. I put the spinach directly on top of the mayonnaise so it wouldn't slip out. I might try cucumber slices next!

Jess in Oregon

When my son was young, he requested spinach on his sandwiches because it had more vitamins and nutrients in it. He loved fruits and veggies. I was sooooo lucky!

Good one, and for the balky kid, you can blend the spinach with lettuce.

How are other uses for Spinach. I use frozen spinach, just a little in stews, sauce, even gravies.....it gives us extra veggies. I also add parsley flakes (dried).

I love the idea of using spinach instead of lettuce - I've been doing that for a long time on my own sandwiches. However, I feel sure he will notice it if you put cucumber slices in his sandwiches! Cucumbers have a distinct flavor that can't be missed. Good luck - hope he learns to like all veggies. Thanks for sharing and God bless you.

Spinach Leaves
Cooking With Spinach
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 4, 2008
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Freezing Spinach
Freezing Spinach
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄
🍂