Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Urine Odors

How can I clean a room of urine scent to keep other animals from being attracted to the area? I have heard that ammonia will hide a scent so dogs cannot follow it, but does it work for other things?

By Marty S

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lisa [2]04/27/2010

I've heard/read that ammonia is NOT what you want to use. It'll make the situation worse. Have you tried an enzymatic cleaner? I bought PetZyme from Petsmart, but there are other brands out there. Best of luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Urine Odor

I have an older dog (she's 15) who has a problem with a leaking bladder especially at night. We have tried dog diapers but they did not work. The carpet in our room smells really bad. I would love a homemade solution that would really remove the odor. I have tried every commercial available but nothing works.

kellydog

RE: Dog Urine Odor

Baking Soda Solution

I had a Dachshund that would not go outside, but rather under our bed. After getting rid of the dog and after getting the carpeting dried out and cleaned as well as possible using the standard carpet cleaners, I realized the urine smell was very much still present. I have a handy little book called "Baking Soda-over 500 uses..." and here is what finally worked for me. To prevent the lingering smells in a carpet, they advise to clean up what you can, then generously sprinkle the remaining spot with baking soda. Scrub gently, from the outside toward the center, with a stiff brush or sponge dipped repeatedly in clean water (test for colorfastness!). Blot up the moisture with paper towels. Leave a last small layer of baking soda powder sprinkled on the spot and vacuum it later when the carpet is dry. I had to repeat this several times, but it worked! No more smells!! Carpet looks fine!

For general deodorizing, they also advise sprinkling baking soda on carpeting monthly, or as needed, before going to bed and let it set overnight. Vacuum the next day. They include a home-made carpet deodorizer recipe:

• 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 15 drops of your favorite essential oil fragrance
I've come to love baking soda! (03/24/2005)

By Marnita

RE: Dog Urine Odor

Try "No Scent" or something similar found in the hunting sections of department stores. It takes the scent out of just about anything! (03/24/2005)

By Maureen

By Susan in Oregon

RE: Dog Urine Odor

I use Nature's Miracle which was mentioned, & is an enzyme cleaner. Thanks for the odorzout info. I've never heard of it. (03/24/2005)

By Vicki

RE: Dog Urine Odor

I have a homemade recipe that works. This is the ONLY thing I have found to work over the years. Mix 1 tsp. Dawn dish liquid, 1 tsp. of baking soda and 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide together. Pour directly onto the urine spot. Do not blot, rub or dry. Let it dry naturally and then vacuum over. There will be a noticeble white powder residue on top of the carpet. I have tried many many store bought items, including a gallon of something at Petsmart that cost $36 years ago, and nothing ever worked. This really does work. It was easy for me because my stubborn pee-box is a male. Female urine spots may be a little more difficult to find. We have a giant dollar store that sells 2 bottles of peroxide for $1.

About deoderizing your carpet: If your vacuum is bagless, including Rainbow vacuums, you should NEVER EVER sprinkle anything on your carpet in the form of powder like those commercial deoderizers that smell so good, powder, or baking soda. Fine powders will cause your motor to burn up. I was told this when I bought my Rainbow 12 years ago and confirmed by my husband who now works in a vacuum repair shop. (03/24/2005)

By suzi homemaker

RE: Dog Urine Odor

Simple Solution works way better than Nature's Miracle. (04/01/2005)

By Mary

RE: Dog Urine Odor

What none of you are mentioning here, is that if you don't soak up the pee as soon as your dog goes to the bathroom, it gets DOWN into the carpet and then into the padding or underneath the carpet itself. The only way to get that out will be to lift the carpet, especially if the urine has been allowed to stay there for a long time and fester.

Cleaning the top of the carpet will not remove the scent underneath it. If you don't want the dog to pee on the carpet, place his/her bed in another room without carpet, positively reinforce the dog that sleeping in the next room is GOOD. He/she may still want to sleep in the same room as you, so you'll have to get creative with trying to find ways to convince your pet that sleeping in the other room is a good thing.

Start by placing its bed right outside your door, within sight of you, but with a gate blocking the doorway. And walk the dog IMMEDIATELY before you go to sleep, control the water you give it as well, if you know you're going to be going to bed, obviously filling the dog bowl with water wouldn't be a good idea. If the smell is so bad that you can't stand it, perhaps it is time to replace the carpet and start fresh.

Steam cleaning will not help you much, all that does is create mud in your carpet which will destroy the fibre from the bottom. A foamy shampoo that uses much less water than steam cleaning is a much better solution. Electrolux makes the BEST carpet cleaner, rug shampooer I've ever seen. Look it up, it has an attachment that "rakes" the carpet and you would surprise yourself if you saw how much dirt rises to the top as you do it. (04/08/2005)

By oopsmydogpooonthecarpet

RE: Dog Urine Odor

I have this same problem, and a few months ago I sent for an e-recipe. It's so simple, that now I'm ashamed I couldn't figure it out myself. I have very light color carpet, almost ivory color. I mix 1 bottle 3% hydrogen peroxide, with 2 tablespoons baking soda till dissolved. Test a colored carpet for color-fastness, and dilute with water as needed. I pour mine into a bowl, and I use a wide paint brush, saturating the paint brush with the solution and painting the spots. The stain is immediately removed, and the odor is eliminated as well. Then when completely dry, I vacuum the area and the baking soda, which has absorbed the urine, is gone as well.

For a quick clean up, before peroxide process, and while the urine is still wet on the carpet, pour corn starch (a big pile) onto the wet area, and let it pull all the urine out of the carpet. You'll know it's out of the carpet, because the cornstarch will turn yellow as it absorbs the urine. I usually give it a couple hours to pull it all out. If it turns yellow immediately, you're not using enough corn starch. Corn starch is really cheap, especially at a dollar store, so use plenty. I think you'll be really happy with these 2 solutions. I am savings a lot of money not buying those expensive products at the pet stores any longer. (05/18/2005)

By Deb

RE: Dog Urine Odor

Use a black light to find the spots and then pour an enzyme over the area. I bought my enzyme for $14.95 and the black light on Ebay , and you can dilute it 10 to 1 Pour a generous amout over the spot making sure that it stays damp for 24 hours. If need be put a wet towel over the area. My new pup has gone all over the place and there are no smells in my apt. (05/19/2005)

By Donald Poston

RE: Dog Urine Odor

I was recently told that if you mix equal amounts of vinegar and warm water together, it will get rid of the scent and stain. Dab up the excess urine, pour the mixed vinegar and warm water over where stain/scent is, keep there for about five minutes, and then wipe up with towel. (12/04/2005)

By Guest

RE: Dog Urine Odor

sprinkle area with baking soda then spray on a mix of 50/50 white vinegar and warm water from a spray bottle. it WILL "volcano" up but it works (12/20/2005)

By R

Archive: Dog Urine Odors

Dog Urine Odors. My dog goes to the bathroom in the front of my house on the cement steps and on the bushes and I can't get rid of the smell.