Preparing Plants To Bring Indoors - Categories:

House PlantsGardening

Preparing Plants To Bring Indoors

I need to bring the pot flowers inside home now. How can I wash out the bugs hidden in the pots? Maybe I need to change with the new pot soil. Thanks. Any suggestion or comments highly appreciated.

By Min L. from Toronto, ON

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Also in zone 5a, Buffalo,NY area. Each year before the plants come in, I check all plants fo signs of insects and remove. Repot any plants that need it. I spray them thoroughly with a detergent/water solution,(1 tsp dish det/quart water) and rinse well. Then leach the soil in each pot, and let dry overnight. Have had no bug problems. Hope this helps.

I like the bathtub idea (scroll down) - keep the bugs contained, if there are any! Better start this process this weekend, too!

October 8, 2009 Flag
By Ellen Brown

Q: Ellen,

Now that it is beginning to become winter (finally), what are some
suggestions for bringing plants indoors? How do you get rid of any
bugs that might be on the plants when you bring them indoors?

Bekkicat from Charlotte

A: Bekkicat,

A good way to prepare plants for indoor conditions is to reverse the process of preparing them for outdoor conditions (reverse hardening-off). Transplant plants into pots as necessary. Do this as soon as nighttime temperatures start getting cool (50s). If possible, place plants in their winter location for a few hours each day-until they are sufficiently acclimatized to spending the majority of the day in their new air and light conditions.

Before taking them inside, group all plants coming indoors together away from other plants. Apply an organic insecticide to the leaves (using neem or pyola oil). Wait for a day or to two and apply it again. An alternative is to give them a good spray with the hose, followed by placing plants into an "in-between" room (garage or basement). Wait 24 hours and inspect for insects again. Rinse a second time in the shower if necessary.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. <a href="add.ldml">Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Preparing Plants To Bring Indoors

Place a couple of mothballs on the soil about a month before you bring them in. (10/20/2005)

By Paula L.

Preparing Plants To Bring Indoors

I just brought some plants in the other day. This is what I did: I brought them in at morning time, placed them into the tub and sprayed the heck out of them and let them drain all day. From time to time I checked the tub for bugs. (10/21/2005)

By freedombelle2001

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsOctober 8, 2009
Spring floral wall bucket using artificial flowers.
Homemade Spring Decorations
palm near window
Growing Palms Indoors
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
potted houseplant
Bringing Plants Indoors for the Winter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:16:20 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.