Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

I have a thick wool type fabric couch that has been in storage for 10 years. Not only does it have a strong moldy musky smell, it is also covered in rodent urine and feces. What would be the best way to clean it using the strongest cleaner that will not bleach the beige background with multi pastel fibers?

By Evan from Tampa, FL

If there are rodent stains on it, then chances are the rodents were in it, as well. I would consult a professional cleaner (asking them doesn't mean you need to use their services) if it is even possible to get the stains out, and clean it so that it is safe to use. Rodent droppings in quantity can carry some pretty scary diseases, including the hanta virus. Do some real investigating, not just asking for surface cleaning ideas on here, for your and your family's health's sake, please!

I agree with Jilson. As I have had to learn over the years there comes a time when I have to throw my frugal old lady hat in the creek and get rid of something. I think for your safety's sake it's time to get rid of the couch.

Anonymous

I am with Jilson and MartyD and, frankly, I wouldn't even risk trying to have it cleaned on the inside even by a professional. You can contract diseases from the urine and feces by breathing it in and/or even touching it. When you dispose of the sofa please be kind and make it clear that the sofa is no longer safe for human use.

What works the best to shampoo a couch and chair? They need it badly.
Thanx for the help.

By Annie from Cassopolis, MI

Answers:

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

You can use attachments from a carpet cleaner. I honestly don't know for certain, but I am pretty sure that the cleansing liquid used for carpet would be pretty much the same as for furniture upholstery.

By the way, one of my great grandfathers was born in Cassopolis around the time of the Civil War and I have distant cousins that still live in the area. Have been there about a half dozen times over the past 30 years including doing genealogical research at the Cass County Courthouse. The first time I was ever there was the first time I ever saw lightening bugs and my cousins were giggling at me that I was so excited about seeing them for the first time. ;-) (08/13/2010)

By Deeli

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

I started using Stanley Steamer after my husband and I tried a rental machine and heavy duty soap and got nowhere. Stanley Steamer came in did the cleaning and our carpet and upholstery was brand new looking and dried much faster than before. I thought we'd need to buy new carpet and new furniture until we did this. Good luck. :) (08/14/2010)

By yoder178

I am needing to clean a couch, not sure of the fabric type, it might be a blend. I am just trying to find a way to get some of the grime out. The couch is a light gray color. The stain appears to just be from regular wear and tear on the couch.

By James from Kansas City, MO

Answers:

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

Some people use upholstery cleaner for cars. It does a great job on the fabric recliners we have. And it's easy to use. Try it! Good luck. (03/22/2010)

By kffrmw88

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

I have posted this tip before, probably several years ago, but I will post it again. What I have always done with great success is this. Dissolve about 1/2 cup powdered Tide detergent in a deep bowl with about 2 quarts of hot water. Use your electric mixer to beat it up into lots of thick, dry suds.

Take a large thick washcloth or hand towel and get it wet in the soapy water, but wring it out as dry as you can get it. Then scoop up some of the "suds only" on the washcloth and and rub and scrub the soiled upholstery parts. Take a separate handtowel and wet it in a bucket of plain clean water. Wring it out as dry as you can get it and wipe and scrub the area of upholstery you just scrubbed with the suds. I usually needed to rinse out the towel and go over the area again. You can repeat the process, but do not get the upholstery wet. Damp is okay, soaking wet is not.

Let the upholstery dry for a day or so. If you want to you can run your vacuum over the sofa after it is dry. You won't have any stinky chemical smell in your upholstery. If there is any scent at all it will smell like clean laundry! (03/22/2010)

By Grandma Margie

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

What about carpet shampoo? Most carpets are a mixed blend as well. (03/25/2010)

By cett

Cleaning an Upholstered Couch

A steam cleaner with appropriate cleanser for the fabric :-) (03/25/2010)

By Deeli