15 Year Wants to Sleep at Her Boyfriend's House

Should you allow a 15 year old to sleep over her boyfriend's house? Her boyfriend is moving around an hour away and his friendly, trustworthy parents are willing to drive if daughter is allowed to sleepover. Also, they are constantly being watched and she sleeps in the boyfriend's sister's room at night and there is no privacy for the couple whatsoever.

Kagome from New Rochelle, New York

Ok, I'm not going to do any judging here, but remember when YOU were a teenager? You mention no privacy...horny teenagers don't need much!!! Personally coming from a Christian perspective I don't think it's right one bit. But just speaking parent to parent (beliefs set aside) I was a teenager once (not too long ago, 17 years!) and if my Mom said I could sleep at a guys (I would have NEVER asked or even though to) I would have taken that as a "sure you can fool around honey" message.

The moment we had children, our #1 JOB became to protect our children, to raise them right and love them. We are not here to be their friends, we are here to guide, protect, set limits and take care of them. When they are older and wiser, then we can be their friends and let our hold loosen, but at this age, we have to hold steady to what is right and wrong. Kids crave and need stability, without it, they are adrift in a lonely sea, alone with nothing but sharks circling the water. If we don't give them the stability that they need, we fail at our job. If we do all that we can and THEN they rebel, then we have to keep trying, there is no failing in that.

Our teenagers (I have 1 of my own, almost 16 yr boy) are subjected to enough pressure from media, the public and friends to do things that they aren't physically, mentally or emotionally capable to handle at this young age, we shouldn't be giving them permission to mess up.

So since you asked for our advice, I think it's a ridiculous notion. Your question sounds as if your daughter has already done her pleading, those words of "reassurance" sound like those of a teenager trying to spend the night with a boy. And shame on the boys parents for ok'ing something like this anyway, what kind of example does that set for how he should respect himself, his parents or girls! When I was a teenager in the mid 80's you would have never heard of a sleepover with boys and girls, let alone 1 boy and 1 girl! And don't think that a sister makes it innocent, I know many a kids who had willing siblings in the background to look the other way, especially if a few bucks were in the mix!

I agree with everything that "micha" said and I am an atheist...it is totally absurd...you are just asking for trouble and setting up a precedent for further requests that are "over the line"

And last of all a 15 year old has no business having a boyfriend that serious anyway. I raised two boys and know where I made mistakes...I am now raising a grand daughter and she has been told from age 8 or so that there will be NO boys until she is a senior at least! No car and no job as well. Their jobs at that age are school and preparing for their future..not concentrating on boys and if they can sleep at their houses...and riding around in cars. They will live through these strick rules and be better people for having them inforced. Once they hit 18, they have the rest of their lives to mess them up on their own

Call me old fashioned but why is it that parents we forgot that from the ascent from three to fifteen that we are still parents. When you three to five, in some cases three to ten year old, was sure he- she could run in front cars and get away with it, you didn't let them did you? All of a sudden were willing to ler them now because their older. Doesn't make kids any smarter I'm afraid. According to psychology books children don't outgrow concrete operational stages in their brain until after eighteen. Fortunately for me I know some who still are there at thirty.

My sister-in-law had this same situation arise. Her 16 yr old son's girlfriend moved away...She would come visit, spend the night in son's sister's room, paren'ts there, no privacy. Well....it didn't work!!! The son & girlfriend have since broken up and he confided that they had sex while she was at his house. My advice is don't get anything like this started. If you allow it with this boy, she'll ask for it with other boys and other situations. Draw the line now and decide it's worth a fight and your daughter being upset with you. Hold your ground now and maybe it will prevent other problems in the future.

Fifteen does seem pretty young to have such a serious boyfriend....I guess things are different these days tho. I think the boy should come visit your daughter at your house....maybe just for a few hours....like come for dinner but not stay over. I think it will be hard for them to stay as boyfriend/girlfriend if he has moved away....altho when one of them can drive, things may change!

Guess I have a different opinion to some of the others, Have you no trust in your daughter, or her boyfriends parents, whom you say are sensible trustworthy people? You know your own daughter, (and the standard of your relationship with her) so go by that. If you really think that she will jump into bed with her boyfriend the moment no-one's looking, then No.. you're her Mom.. if not, trust her.

It's strange how one word can cause consternation. As the boy is labelled 'boyfriend' alarm bells ring, if he was just a 'friend' who happened to be a boy, would that be different?

Not all teenagers are seething with so many hormones that the only thing they want to do is have sex. Many just want to enjoy each others companionship and have fun.

No, I'm not a teeanger.. I'm a mother of four now adult kids, and grandmother, and great grandma to one little girl too.

No way would I allow a 15-year-old to sleep over at her boyfriend's house! His parents shouldn't allow it, either!

I have 4 grown sons. A sleepover? Ummm, lemme think...NO!

First of all let me say that was not an unusual request from a 16 year old girl today. Where I live in a small town, teenagers are staying over at each other's homes all the time. I believe that if they are going to do something, they will find a way no matter what. If they are supervised and not sleeping in the same bed, I would allow it. Things have changed since we were teenagers and it is a matter of trust. You know your daughter, she is watching to see what you are going to do and will think you trust her or you don't... relationships are also different then when we were younger, so I would have a talk with them both and let them know the rules you want them to follow if you do allow her to stay overnight. Remember they have been exposed to more things than we ever were and do not think the same way we did. Good luck and whatever choice you make, it will be the right one for your family. Ann

We had a cat in heat when I was a teenager. One morning, my father was holding the front door open for her. She took three steps out the door, then rolled on the ground, moaning.

"What are you DOing," I said. "That cat's in heat!"

"It's OK," said my father. "It's daylight." ;D

Tell the fifteen-year-old to write to the boy as much as she wants. She's too young for this kind of relationship.

My rule is: Never follow a man until he marries you; then follow him everywhere.

O.

Hmmm, lots of different opinions on this one. Since your daughter is the one who will get pregnant if something does happen, make sure that she knows about birth control and contraception, etc. Not saying that anything will happen but they are at that age when often those things do.

Only you know your daughter and the other people involved. It will be hard for them to keep their relationship going once he has moved away. I'd encourage them to write letters and emails and think long and hard about whether it's best for her to spend the night there.

Susan

You have got to be kidding ........ There is NO WAY that girl should ever be allowed to spend the night with her boyfriend. Talk about 'enabling'!

i would. my mother couldnt stop me. but my experence has helped me to have a trusting relationship with my son.he has earned that trust.we have talked about the pros and cons of having sex at a young age and i allow my son to have girls over and he has proved himself to me.i always remind both the young adults and i am very open about i dont want anymore grandkids at this time and i will not fix the problem for them.i think you know your daughter and if you need to ask this question maybe you need to get closer to your daughter so youll know what her plans are

i was never allowed in a boys room. nor were they allowed in my room. i think you are asking for trouble them sleeping over like that what is wrong with going there for dinner or spending the day somewhere.

Not a chance.

Well, you have had a lot of opinions on the subject, some good, some well.. not mine. I will tell you what I am going thru right now. I have a 16 yr old son and he has a 15 yr old girlfriend. I dont let her spend the night, she is allowed to come over and spend the day with him, but when they are in his room, the door is open into the living room. Well guess what, tonight I found out that they have been having sex in there. Think it wont happen with your child, think again!! It will happen, people sleep, others look the other way, it will happen. As far as the ones that say, well if they want to do it it will happen, they are right, but doenst mean you have to help it along. From now on mine are banned from the bedroom. Maybe its like closing the barn door after the cow is out but I am trying to prevent another little consequence of teenagers having sex.

I wanted to add something about the friendly trustworthy parents, sometimes parents not only let their teenagers have sex, they encourage it. My sons aunt is one of them.

The fact that you are asking this question, shows that you are not sure! NO - flat and final!

My oh my are you looking for trouble or what? Just remember...lead us not into temptation. I do not believe that trust wins. When the cats away the mice will play.

Hi, I wouldn't recommend it. I allowed my daughter to sleep over at her boyfriends home when she was a teenager, same precautions etc... The problem I found was that they continued to do this through out their entire relationship. ONce it started I couldn't stop it. I also found that it opened them up to a much more personal relationship......I noticed a greater freedom with one another and in general a more physical relationship. I sensed that I had allowed a door to be opened that at such a young age really needed to be closed. ONce they are given permission to stay over it never ends no matter how many boyfriends they have and this can cause a lot of permiscuise behaviour. I will say that my daughter did end up marrying this particular boy but I made sure none of my other children participated in sleep overs and I saw a difference in how they handled their relationships. I watched this same thing happen to friends kids and all it does , it seems is promote a more serious relationship between the two teens. something that they have plenty of time to do. HOpe this helps. M

I guess I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as the parents are constantly watching them, then it should be fine.

Problem is I can't watch them all the time, have to pee, have to work, and sleep sometimes.

NO! I have no children by birth however I was a teen

so NO and NO.

I am a 16 year old girl, almost 17 and I have been with my boyfriend for almost two years. My mother has always been supportive and fair. When she realised that our relationship is serious, she allowed me to stay at his house..and no, we never had sex..but if that is what you are worried your daughter is going to do..well its stupid. Honestly, she will find a way to do it, and take this coming from a teenager. If not at home, behind a tree..so no matter what precautions you take, if she want to do it, she will! So why not show your daughter you trust her, let her sleep over and you'll see the bond between you will get stronger, the more strict you are the more rebelling she will want to be.

Okay, first of all this isnt a mother speaking or that wrote the request. It was a 15 year old! Some of your feedbacks were rational, while others simply said no with no reason whatsoever. Sleeping over obviously doesnt mean sex at all. If you said she was sleeping over his sister's house, it would be different, wouldnt it? It states CLEARLY that there is no privacy. And my putting them in the room facing the living with the door open; they're still alone. If they have had sex they mustve done it when you were not home, otherwise it just doesnt make any sense to have sex that way. And yes, some teens just wanna have a goodtime with the opposite sex's family. But all of you that said "no", because the first thing that came to mind when you read this was "SEX". No. You're wrong. Think and read over what you think you read. And also read my profile, it comes with more information.

NO NO NO NO

What, the parents are going to stay awake all night to make sure there's no commuting?

NOT A CHANCE.

Kids will do whatever they can get away with-- parents don't need to help. At 15 she's the one who'll have the baby, and Mom, you're the one who'll wind up raising it.

This question hits close to home for me. I am 23 yrs old and am happily married to the man I started a serious relationship with when I was 15. My husband and I were lucky to have parents who suported our relationship. My husband is two yrs older and was away at college while I was still in highschool. They allowed him to sleep over on the weekends on the couch in the living room while they were home. Would some people disagree with this? YES! However, I wasn't "given permission" to have sex and I had to have many conversations about safe sex, birth control, pregnancy, trust, etc. And to the shock of all those "NO" posters I didn't get pregnant, I graduated highschool and college with honors and all those parent pleasing things! If you trust your teen and boyfriend as well as the parents you should consider it. I personally would rather have my teen in a serious relationship supervised at a parents house then unsupervised during the typical friday night date a normal teen has.

You people make teenagers look like sex driven irresponsible monsters. Some are, no doubt about that, most aren't. Teenagers are A LOT more responsible than you think. You only hear about the mistakes, and the irresponsible decisions of some irresponsible teenagers. No need to condemn ALL teenagers and judge them all based on that stereotype that the media feeds you.

So many parents are in denial and really believe they can stop there kids from having sex. It's not gonna happen! The main reason for teen pregnancies and such is because parents refuse to confront reality. If your daughter is attractive she either is or will have sex before the age of 18. That is about a 95% certainty and probably long before 18.

I let my daughter's boyfriend sleep over, but he has to sleep in the guest room. However, I hear him go in her room at night but she is on the pill and she has plenty of condoms just in case her boyfriend doesn't.

I don't tell her to have sex, but you can't be in denial, you have to make sure she is prepared.

I say if you trust your daughter, let her spend the night. If you don't trust her, don't let her spend the night. It's really up to you.

What in the world are some people here thinking!? The only time a 15 year old girl might be permitted to sleep over at her boyfriend's house is when her boyfriend is sleeping over somewhere else! I am astounded at how naive some people are. Or maybe this is all part of the trend to be your kid's "pal" rather than their parent. Anyway, this question was obviously written by a kid (only a kid would include only pros, no cons, in the question). No. The answer is No. N-O. Inappropriate and begging for trouble.

You gotta be nuts! 15! Let her go back and forth on a train with a parent, same day, and then parents don't have to worry about the commute. I can't believe either set of parents; Neither are responsible. Michawnpita said it all very well....parents are meant to be protectors, not enablers.

No. Just no.

Here's a thought experiment. Let's say that your 15 year old daughter is a genuinely trustworthy young lady who really does feel like she wants to be a good girl, for you, for her, and not have sex until she's older. And let's say that this nice young gentleman also is a very respectable young man who has decided he's not ready to have sex yet. Let's pretend.

Now, what if you put these two lovebirds together at night when the moon is full and and the air is full of chemistry. WHAT IF they DID have sex anyway, because they got caught up in the moment, even when in the light of day, they didn't really want to? I mean, all the arguments I've read about the kids possibly having sex just seems to cast the ambiguous blanket of shame over it, like the kids just get to get away with something fun and we should be angry at them for it. IF they DID have sex, what would your daughter be feeling? Would she be happy with what she had done? Maybe, just maybe, she's not old enough to be able to say "no" to sex even if she doesn't want to actually have sex. Maybe her boyfriend isn't old enough either. Maybe somebody old enough to help them out with this one ought to gently and kindly not let such a romantic situation present itself. Because let's face it, saying "no" can be hard sometimes no matter how old you are.

IF they DID have sex, maybe she wouldn't get pregnant, but that's not the only consequence at all. It could drastically change her relationship with this nice young man. It could ruin it. It could make her decide that having sex from now on is okay. She could get pregnant later.

If they're going to have sex "behind a tree" as someone delightfully put it, then they are by George going to have sex behind a tree and there's nothing you can do to stop it. But if they're going to have sex behind a tree, then they probably fully intended to have sex, they're not exactly genuine and trustworthy and the argument is void. Then they're just being naughty children. So, either way, she probably ought not to stay over at her boyfriend's house. The fact that it might be a questionable situation at all to other people looking on at your daughter makes it not respectable, and believe me, I'm not usually one to worry what other people think.

This isn't something you probably want other people questioning about your daughter, even if she's being 100% honest and good and you know you can trust her. Not everyone knows how trustworthy your daughter is. If she can't do that, then it's your job to teach her what being respectable is, for her sake.

I'm a 15 year old girl dating a 15 year old boy who's NEVER done anything, never really had a girlfriend either. My last relationship was almost a year long & yes we did do things, we spent the night one time, we didn't do ANYTHING. If you guys barricade your children they will rebel. We are getting at that age when we want to try different things & explore what we haven't done. Sorry to tell you but your kids are going to do things even if you think he/she is a saint. If you treat them as if they are still 5 and tell them no, they will do it. But if you talk to them about things & work out a plan and treat them as if they are their age then they will understand and reason with you. I think you should let them spend the night together. Don't let them sleep together but let them be with each other. No, she probably will not think thats an every relationship thing, but your child is growing up & you have to accept that. They are going to do things so just talk to them about the dangers.

My Son 15 and his girlfriend 14 both sleep in the same bed when she stays around. He knows a slip up would cost him his career and she don't want to get pregnant as a teen. These reasons in mind both are abstaining from sex, and so sleeping in the same bed is not an issue. I have brought my son up to respect the opposite sex and lovingly tease. He will make a great husband and father one day but for now it is nice to wake them up arm in arm happy with smiles on their faces that they are together. Why deny innocent love?

Parenting Teen DatingApril 8, 2007
Boyfriend and Girlfriend
Locating an Old Boyfriend
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
🎉
🎄