What is the Best Way to Heat Shower Water?

I have always turned on the hot water to heat before bathing/showering. I then turn on the cold water to adjust to my preference. My daughter keeps their faucet adjusted to one temperature and then turns it on. To me, this seems like a waste of hot and cold water. I think it uses more water plus it takes longer.

So we have this disagreement in which way is the less wasteful. Turning on the hot water and then turning on the cold or turning both on until it heats up? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you. I keep empty containers to use for watering plants near by to catch any of the running water while it is heating.

By mkymlp

I don't find it makes a difference in the amount of water usage because the water has to run awhile before the water heats up anyway but that's just my experience with the hot water systems I've had.

Since you keep the containers close by anyway I suggest you try your way, while catching the water and then the next time try it your daughters way and then see what the difference is. It would be nice if, after you have checked it out, you would give us a report. (My bet is your way uses less water!)

I can't see wasting all of that cold water while waiting for the hot water. I think running the hot and then adding the cold is more economical and a time saver.