Fireplaces and StovesHome Improvement

White Powder In a Fire Place

When I discovered this white powder (don't know what it is?) on the inside wall of my brick fireplace I took a closer look and there seemed to be condensation. The fireplace is on an exterior wall.We have been experience a bit of rain lately. Could this be the cause of the white powder? It is an all brick fireplace that is at least as old as the house - 50 years. I bet they don't build brick fireplaces anymore. Who to call? Brick busters?

Chris from USA

Chris, you will want to contact a brick mason, a person who builds or constructs fireplaces. A mason will be able to tell what the problem is. Check out the yellow pages in your phone book or contact a reputable construction company in your area and ask for the name and number of the brick mason they use.

It sounds a bit like salt damp where dampness is drawn up into the brick work from the earth below bringing salt up with it - this happens if a damp course wasn't installed when the house was built. I think it is a job for a professional to fix

It may be salt as someone stated, or may also be lime. My husband was in the business for many years. The best thing to do is call a pro in who can tell you, as well as make sure its not deteriorating and is in safe working condition.