White Powder In a Fire Place

When I discovered this white powder (don't know what it is?) on the inside wall of my brick fireplace I took a closer look and there seemed to be condensation. The fireplace is on an exterior wall.We have been experience a bit of rain lately. Could this be the cause of the white powder? It is an all brick fireplace that is at least as old as the house - 50 years. I bet they don't build brick fireplaces anymore. Who to call? Brick busters?

Chris from USA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Chris, you will want to contact a brick mason, a person who builds or constructs fireplaces. A mason will be able to tell what the problem is. Check out the yellow pages in your phone book or contact a reputable construction company in your area and ask for the name and number of the brick mason they use.

It sounds a bit like salt damp where dampness is drawn up into the brick work from the earth below bringing salt up with it - this happens if a damp course wasn't installed when the house was built. I think it is a job for a professional to fix

It may be salt as someone stated, or may also be lime. My husband was in the business for many years. The best thing to do is call a pro in who can tell you, as well as make sure its not deteriorating and is in safe working condition.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Fireplaces and StovesMarch 7, 2006
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
Making Garlic Powder
Making Garlic Powder
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:18:22 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.